The return of the Triumph marque?

Toledo Man

• Toledo Man changed the title to The return of the Triumph marque?
  • 4 months later...

A great pity BMW has allowed the marque to remain dormant.  Probably they do not wish present model sales to be effected.  Not a marque that BMW really need as they have/had the Z3/Z4.

Tyre aspect needs to be higher.  They look to be 30 or 35 and that won't do for UK roads.

Kev

Why on Earth would BMW want to make range of Teiumph car.  That was a mistake that BMC/BL made, leafing yo the "badge engineering" trope.    BMW have cars from sports to shopping to SUVs, all within their own range and designed to look like family, something BL never did.

They acquired the Triumph name as a relic, a fossil, among the wreckage of BL, and will be perfectly happy to leave it there.

John

On 24/11/2023 at 22:19, JohnD said:

Why on Earth would BMW want to make range of Teiumph car.  That was a mistake that BMC/BL made, leafing yo the "badge engineering" trope.    BMW have cars from sports to shopping to SUVs, all within their own range and designed to look like family, something BL never did.

They acquired the Triumph name as a relic, a fossil, among the wreckage of BL, and will be perfectly happy to leave it there.

John

Mini …..

No?  Riley Elf.  Worsley Hornet. Cooper. Austin Seven. Rover Mini. Innocenti.

All "badge engineered" versions on the Mini.  BL couldn't wean themselves off badge engineering, even when they had a winner without it.   Even when they couldn't cost it properly.

John

Edited by JohnD

I have read this before as well.

The Dolomite Sprint was in many ways a better BMW 2000 I think and the 2000/2500 were very good at beating similar BMWs in many aspects.

The only BMW I ever had a mild fizzy for was the Z1, mostly because I like quirky technology.

The more I live in Germany though the more loath them.

One time I was getting a lift from a colleague. A very privileged, only child West German who was shocked, SHOCKED when her manager actually demanded she work more than 4 hours a day (she literally spent the first hour at work doing her hair and nails... every day)...

She told me to meet her in the parking lot. So I went there and I picked out the most over powered BMW estate (SUVs were not a thing yet) with a personalized license plate that matched her.

She was very surprised I twigged which car was hers...

According to this web site:  History of Brand Ownership, BMW retain the following names:-

Marque Name
MINI
Riley
Triumph

Model Name
Clubman
Dolomite
Kestrel
Maxi
Metro
MINI Cooper
MINI Cooper Monte Carlo
MINI Mayfair
MINI Minor
MINI Sprite
MINI Van
Spitfire
Stag

Name
Countryman
Knightsbridge
Steptronic
TR 4 Triumph

The rest have been sold, mainly to Chinese companies.

On 24/11/2023 at 15:53, torque2me said:

Probably they do not wish present model sales to be effected.

An interesting view as to why BMW has chosen not to revive the Triumph brand. 

Unilever owns most of the washing powder brands and they are careful not to make that obvious.  As a consequence, they dominate the market.  BMW could get a slice of the sports car market currently satisfied by Porsche and Mazda, even Jaguar.  Brands have value.

I was actually visiting the Triumph factory when Lord Stokes announced the cancellation of the Triumph Lynx which was under development.  The workforce simply walked out.  His reasoning was that it would compete with the Rover 2000.  He also renamed the Jaguar Browns Lane factory "Large Car Assembly Plant No2"  He was assisted by the asset stripper Jim Slater.  He was knighted for his efforts in 1965 - doing more than anyone else to destroy the British motor industry by undermining the pride and dedication of those who worked in the industry. 

In summary, BMW should learn from history and revive the Triumph brand

• Like 1

Can't agree about the comment by a poster to this thread that Triumph did not make their cars look similar, in the early 70's the rear end's all had a similar look...Toledo, Dolomite, 2000/2500 mk2, Stag, Spitfire mk4, GT6 mk3, even the TR6....def some uniformity there....I suppose Vauxhall had it with the coke bottle styling of the Viva and Victor...BMW with their range...but not that common in the 70s.

Have you ever LOOKED at the BMW range?  If they are to be expected to revive Triumph it would surely be as a sports car, but they already have:

The 8 series, very much the Grand Tourer

The M range, all 'motorsport' versions of all their other series.

The 4 series, 2 (and 4) door sports coupes with a convertible in there.

And, of course, the Z4 Roadster.

Where would a series of Triumphs fit into there?     And why on Earth would  BMW want to confuse their loyal clientele with another marque?     Triumph had enough problems with the competition between the small chassis series and the TRs.

John

16 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Can't agree about the comment by a poster to this thread that Triumph did not make their cars look similar, in the early 70's the rear end's all had a similar look...Toledo, Dolomite, 2000/2500 mk2, Stag, Spitfire mk4, GT6 mk3, even the TR6....def some uniformity there....I suppose Vauxhall had it with the coke bottle styling of the Viva and Victor...BMW with their range...but not that common in the 70s.

There is a fine line between brand recognition because of the form (see Porsche...) and having "common" styling.  There was a "meme" a few months back of the top 35 cars where they were all painted white with blanked out wheels and you could not tell them apart regardless of the brand....

Don't forget Badge engineering it still around look at the VAG group with the seat, Skoda, VW and Audis all sharing the same platform, with similar sector calls all with different dealerships  but with re skinning to to provide the "different" cars.... If they can make it work....

Could not BMW pitch Triumph as a low cost sport cars so they don't "dilute" the upmarket BMWs.. 

Just a thought

• Like 1