Sat nav files

For an event that started over 50 years ago, as a test of man, machine and map reading, I'm not really sure I understand the appeal of such extensive use of sat nav. Sure, have a sat nav as backup in case your map reading skills are really that bad, or for the stages where your co-driver might be asleep and can't navigate for you, I get that. But to download a sat nav data file someone else has created, because you can't even program a few waypoints into a sat nav yourself - I really don't understand. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

For an event that started over 50 years ago, as a test of man, machine and map reading, I'm not really sure I understand the appeal of such extensive use of sat nav. Sure, have a sat nav as backup in case your map reading skills are really that bad, or for the stages where your co-driver might be asleep and can't navigate for you, I get that. But to download a sat nav data file someone else has created, because you can't even program a few waypoints into a sat nav yourself - I really don't understand. 

I have driven on five continents without using a SatNav, but these days I normally use one for driving in the UK / EU for a number of reasons, in no particular order.

• Keeping track of continually changing speed limits and breeding fixed speed cameras is an increasing challenge and while not perfect a SatNav assists in those instances if you lose track. Garmin provide a good Speed Camera warning add on for a few pounds, which could save you a few points!
  • Whilst most navigation on the RBRR is straightforward & can be driven from memory for regular entrants there are a few locations that are not so easy to find. I suspect a number of teams will overshoot the penultimate control point this year.
  • Creating SatNav routes that align with the road book requires some work - for example by far and away the quickest way from the Falls of Shin to Gartcosh is via the A9 missing out entirely on the superb Caledonian Canal section but that is where your SatNav will route you unless you are very careful. (PS For anyone running late this is one of the few places where you can catch up easily & it saved me about 1 hour when I had a problem)
  • Most SatNavs have a facility to automatically reroute you around obstructions and closed roads. Garmin Drive is their free app which works if you have a smart phone and one of their more recent SatNavs.
  • It does allow your co-driver to relax and sleep and since we are all 50 years older than when it was first run I find sleep is essential.

Cheers & hope see you all at Wetherby Control Point.

Howard

• Like 2

I think you missed my point. Why you would choose to sub contract your route choice to a sat nav file created by someone else? The event is a mix of preparation of both man and machine, and your ability to complete the event is testament to your achievement. Your preparation might be to spend an hour or so marking your route in an atlas with a highlight pen, or it might be to research the route online and construct a series of waypoints to program your sat nav. But to hand over all that preparation to someone else, somewhat diminishes your achievement.

• Like 1

I didn't expand on it in my last message but creating a SatNav file to follow a specific route can be a serious challenge for a number of reasons. You have to be very familiar with the software you are using it to create the route on your computer  - a few meters error will have a way point on the wrong side of a motorway which will send your route in circles & even worse when its loaded onto your Satnav it will be recalculated which can often result in a completely different route.

I fully accept that this shouldn't be the case but auditing the route files takes significantly longer than creating them to avoid issues like these & like stripping an engine not everyone has the skills to do this (I for one don't) so I feel its quite reasonable to use a route file prepared by somelse

Cheers

Howard

• Like 1

Let me clarify our reasons for having satnav files downloaded which were carefully created by Howard, for which we are very grateful! Firstly, we are planning the route, just like we used to plan our holiday routes through Europe in the 1980’s. Routes carefully planned only for your brother to drive down a road the opposite direction costing you several hours of your 12 hours planned journey! 😂

As Tim suggested, map the roadbook to your AA atlas, it’s good to familiarise yourself and we are doing that too, it brings back memories.

Secondly, being a 2 person team one will be sleeping or at least resting so having satnav will greatly reduce stress on the driver.

Thirdly, during the ‘awake’ hours we will be using the roadbook and our Rally Tripmeter as it’s a nice way to drive the route.

So in conclusion, we will use all the tools at our disposal and I am quite sure our experience will be non the worse for it. 

My assistant helping me map the route! 

IMG_1230.jpeg

• Like 1

I've plotted the route using Googlemymaps which will happily work on any Android phone. We used this system successfully on the 2021 event. The entire route fits into one file. In 2021 I spent a day sat out on our patio plotting the route whilst enjoying the sunshine and recovering from Covid.

Regards 

Bruce

• Like 1

When driving I want to enjoy driving without worry of my next direction change and make the most of the road I'm on.

When I'm a passenger I want to soak in the views or get some rest. And some passengers are terrible at giving directions, even more so if they need rest.

Ultimately, this is my own event when I'm in the car and they way I choose to do it is not the business of anyone else and certainly does not make it any more or less of an achievement as anyone else. I get out of it what I choose to. Same as I wouldn't state anyone using a car worked on by a garage, or previous own hasn't achieved the same as me. 

You paid someone else to weld up that rust? You paid some to rebuild your engine? Your co-driver did your oil change? Well, you're obviously not putting in the same amount of effort as me then...

This is the first time I've not created or shared sat nav files.

Edited by ferny
  • Like 4

For future Coast to Coast events and we are planning to create them using Open Source Routing.

This allows us to create the route as a map that can be accessed by anyone and printed off as they want, but also allows a direct export to Garmin / Tomtom units as .gpx files.

Still testing it, but the if you have a smart phone or pad the route can be used as a fully zoomable map, ranging from the whole UK to a single street.

This should be the best of all worlds.

Cheers

Howard

• Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 15:59, Shynsy said:

I tend to use tom-tom go on the phone. You can pay for just one month and it doesn't need network and the interface is clearer than Google maps. It also calculates your average speed in average speed check zones. 

I have just completed the setup on my iPhone using the TomTom-Go app and just wanted to share my experience, for me the advice I found online by 'simply' clicking the GPX files in Files folder did not work, it just opened the RAW data files and I could not 'Share' it with the TomTom Go app as it was not available in the share options.

So I found out that there is https://mydrive.tomtom.com which will allow you to upload the GPX files from your computer and then sync it with any devices using the same account. Once you have uploaded the files you need to 'Finish' them and there you can select 'Sync to all Devices'.

20231004_084602000_iOS.png

Really good discussion. It just highlights that everyone has a slightly different RBRR experience in mind. Some always go top down, some love a hard top, some prep the hell out fo their car, some just give it a wipe with a moist rag, some carry and entire car's worth of spares, some carry just an RAC card, some drive the whole route with a map to the nearest meter some use SatNav. It is one of the wonderful parts of the RBRR, the diversity of experience.

The common part is that we all enjoy driving Triumphs like they were intended and in doing so we make some money for a worth cause!

Cheers

Tim

PS: I agree with others on being aware that a pure waypoint approach to satnav means you will inadvertantly miss some of the great roads including Bettyhill to Altnahara and Loch ness to Fort william to Gartcosh (via Glen Coe), the welsh loop and some of the coastal road before Bude. But thems the choice and in some cases the direct route (which will be faster) can give you some time for some well earned shut eye at the stop.

• Like 1