Can you recomend a good hood supplier.

JohnB67Spit

Hello all. I need to buy a new hood for my Mk3 restoration , and would appreciate any comments from those of you who have fitted , or had fitted a new hood, as to which supplier you consider to make the best fitting hood.
I am not looking to buy the cheapest, but obviously price is allways a consideration.
One concern is that prices do seem to vary tremendously, for what appears to be similar material, and what one supplier sells as premium quality, another may sell as standard.
At the end of the day, I just want a hood that looks as if it was made for the car, and not like it has been adapted from something else, as some I have seen. I realise a lot is down to how well they have been fitted, but a well made hood should fit better, and look better for longer.
BTW I do want to stick with original type material, not Mohair or any other non original material.

Thanks for any help with this.
John

Of all the hood suppliers which come to mind, I've seen examples of both good and bad work from each; sorry that doesn't help you much. As I've recently said in another thread, getting the hood manufacturer to do the installation is money well spent. While fitting a properly made hood to a Spitfire is a piece of cake, you can waste a lot of hours attempting to fit one which is undersized or ill-proportioned. Manufacturers can be difficult to convince that any fault lies with their product rather than a poor installation procedure, if they are responsible for both aspects there is no buck to pass.

As regards premium materials though, I can offer some insight. Many cheaper vinyls are fine for interior work, however they are liable to shrinkage when used in external applications. When a company offers a premium material, the cynic in me assumes the non-premium material to be unfit for purpose, and liable to shrink within a couple of years.

Cheers,
Bill.