Anyone good with HS4 setup?

molten

Hi all. Fine day for a drive ;-)

Been trying to get my carbs running better and seemed to have made them worse :(
Thing is I am not sure why they are worse.
Is there anyone near warrington/haydock who knows how to set these carbs up properly cos even with manual I don't seem to be getting anywhere!!

Front carb is sucking twice as much air as rear one but I don't know how to ballance properly.
Can anyone nearby help?
WA33SA is post code in case there is someone knowledgable nearby :o

Hello Molten,

to equalise the air flow between the carburettors, first ensure the fast idle (choke) adjusting screws are clear of the throttle linkage with the choke in. Slacken one of the connecting arms on the throttle spindle, so each carburettor is now independent. (The connecting arms are short links that are clamped to the common throttle spindle actuated by the throttle cable.), Using a short length of tubing in the entry to the carburettor choke listen to the hiss and by reducing the idle screw on the loudest and increase the idle screw on the quietest until they sound equal and you have a steady idle speed of around 700 rpm.
Next you need to reset the actuating arm(s) on the interconnecting throttle spindle. Each arm locates in a fork on the carburettor throttle spindle. They both need to be set to the same (small) gap in the throttle spindle forked arms. Perhaps that sounds confusing, but if you pull the throttle cable, you should see the interconnecting throttle spindle start to operate each carburettor spindle, the idea is to get them both moving at the same instant, but you need some slight clearance before the carburettors spindles start to move.

Looking back at what I've written it seems a bit overwhelming, but it is far simpler than the above looks.
Basically adjust each carburettor idle so they are equalised then adjust the throttle to pick up each carburettor at the same time, thus maintaining the balance.

Alec

For a standard set up, it is quite easy
Wind up the jets until they are flat with the base of the carb bushpull down on the jet and smear a little Vaseline on the jet slides and let go
Recheck that the jets are still level with the base, if not re screw until they are
Then wind down the equivalent of 12 flats of the jet screw nut on each carb
Then adjust each idle screw, by sticking a piece of 1/4 bore tubing in your ear and screwing the idle screw until you get around 800 rpm on the front carb and remember the hissing tone.
Then use the same ear with tube and adjust the rear carb in the same manner until you get the same hissing `pull` on that carb.
That will give you the average set up on an average engine

We then took it to a tuners who re profiled the needles,stuck it on the rolling road and kept profiling until the hp went from 74 to 98 !    

Probably not what you want to hear Scott, but you really need to learn how to do it yourself. I'd come over and teach you if I wasn't so far away - if you ever bring the car near West Yorkshire, let me know.

The reason being is that you'll have to periodically adjust carbs for the life of the car, as they don't stay in tune permanently, especially if you frequently change things on the car.  You should pick it up fairly quickly given how much you've already achieved with your work on the car though, carbs are just a case of 'it's easy once you know how' but fucking annoying until you figure them out!.

Hello Bainzy,

I would disagree with the impression you give that multiple carburettors need regular adjusting, they do not. Simple maintenance yes but not retuning. The old adage, '90 per cent of carburation faults are electrical'

Alec

bobyspit wrote:
Molten, I am down in Eccles Manchester in the beginning of August only for a few days if you can come round with the car, Ill take a gander

Would you be visiting me old mate craig by any chance  :)

But yes will do mate. Thanks

PM your mobile number so I can sort something out with you.

2597 wrote:

Would you be visiting me old mate craig by any chance  :)

But yes will do mate. Thanks

PM your mobile number so I can sort something out with you.

No mate I was born in Eccles and moved to Scotland in March, Ill pm you my number.

Rob

Craig if there is a party Ill give you a shout. Or you may want to see the car running with the Zetec?

Hello Molten,

the Rimmer's illustration shows the throttle connecting spindle to the rear also?

"Should this happen? I thought they merely clamped on the spindle!"

No, that should not happen, the clamps sit in the forked ends and should have some play. Possibly the spindle is worn to the clamps so may need some cleaning up or try slackening the throttle cable and rotate the spindle so that the clamps sit on a new section. The spindle should have some free motion before it starts to open the throttles, and both should open simultaneously. If that is not so, then the carburettors will not work properly at low\medium revs, wide throttle it won't have any real effect.

Alec

184 wrote:
Where Rob keeps his Spit is only 2mins away.

If we are having a Triumph party let me know!

HEYUP craig ;)

wife has just booked a weeks cruise holiday just when rob was about to help! she can be so inconsiderate at times ;) so will have to sort something else out.

Triumph party had a nice ring to it too mate :)