Throttle Spindles

thebrookster

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but I rather suspect my throttle spindles are not supposed to look like these!

Thankfully Mr Witor is supplying new spindles and discs, so between these, full cleaning, and new ht leads  and blue Bosch coil hopefully we shall be up and running in a couple of days. Then just an mot on Fri morning to worry about.............

Cheers,

Phil

Ha! mine all arrived from CW yesterday. Good service as ordered online Sunday am.

I have some wear in mine, showing up as disc not seating correctly sometimes. Have not taken apart, but have had the carb off to see what was going on.

In all honesty, new spindles take up most of the wear. The later carbs with the little springs wrapped around the spindles are much less prone to body wear than the early type that used a normal return spring. They just eat a slot.
Machining bodies for bushes appears to be rather tricky. I asked a certain respected carb builder about it, he suggested finding better carbs was the way forward

Well, I certainly was not intending to bush the spindles, thats for sure!! Whole new ballgame right there that is.............

Nah, like Clive I am hoping new spindles and discs should eliminate most of the wear (the amount of daylight coming around the discs when "seated" was quite staggering!).

Also, in the service kits for these you get a wee brass cup with a rubber insert, which from searching would appear to be press fitted into the carb body on some models to create a seal on the ends of the spindles. I am now wondering if I can adapt these in some way to further seal the spindles, there should not be a huge amount of sideways play on the spindle so I was thinking about a touch of loctite, along with the natural friction from the rubber to hold the seals against the carb body. Not ideal, but maybe better than not having them??

I shall ty and take some photos later on to illustrate what I mean, right now I am still awaiting all the parts turning up with the postman, whenever he arrives!!

(And Clive - I ordered sunday evening, but only realised I needed new spindles etc on Monday, which CW happily added to the order at 4pm!!)

Cheers,

Phil

All warnings understood guys, however my plan would hopefully not need this to be done!

Looking at the carb I have re-assembled (well partially, the new spindles arrive tomorrow) I reckon I can simply slide the bush things to but up against the carb body, but have them facing the opposite way so the rubber presses up. Not a perfect solution admittedly, but as the eventual plan is to go EFI anyway I am hopeful this will be an effective stop-gap solution.

To be honest, it will also depend on how much play is left after I fit the new spindles, if these are a good fit then I'll not need to bother.

Cheers,

Phil

And finally, a slightly off-angle picture showing (hopefully) how I mean the seal to sit.

Now, according to the stuff I found on these seals, there is supposed to be a recess milled into the housing for these to sit in (like a bush), and they help effect an airtight seal on the throttle shaft. This shows them fitting in with the brass face innermost (or basically the opposite way to how I have them in the photos).

My thoughts were to fit them as I have shown, as with the throttle disc fitted there should be very little sideways play on the shafts, so the rubber friction should keep these bad boys in place. A careful dab of a loctite compound to help if needed, though I suspect not?

Obviously I would expect them to move slightly over time, but this should be easy enough to move back in place (say during weekly engine checks), and I figured it would be better than having nothing in place?

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Phil

Quoted from Rod 2500S
Gday Phil
what is your plan for EFI?? two throttle bodies etc or fabricate/source single point inlet manifold
Cheer
Rod

Ev'ning Rod

To be honest, no real plans as yet! Or more accurately, plenty of thoughts but nothing decided!

Whatever I do will likely involve a fabricated manifold, I intend to build my own exhaust manifold at some point anyway (I am a marine engineer by trade, so fabrication is not an issue for me really).

Throttle bodies - I keep alternating between having a ITB setup (lots of work, better for outright power) or going single body/plenum.

I suspect for driveability I may end up going for single throttle body, but making my own plenum to suit, the non-existent artist in me see lots of spaghetti like pipes etc, but whatever I do will likely involve some complexity simply becuase I can!! Whether it works or not is another matter........

Cheers,

Phil

Alec - my thoughts were regarding my idle! I have been struggling for a while now to get these carbs dialed in right, which now I have seen the wear is understandable!

However it would be nice to be able to a) stop at a set of traffic lights without either appearing to going for a rally start, or stalling, b) have another go at ignition timing!

Cheers,

Phil

I have worn spindles on my PI and am yet to replace them, but if there is still excess play in the spindles after replacing them I was pondering using a metallised epoxy like JB weld to fill the left over gap between the spindle and throttle body (after V'ing out the outer portion of the hole to give it something to bite to). The spindle could be waxed or greased and rotated back and forth as the epoxy sets, letting it run into any gaps and make a really good seal but still be nice and free. JB weld at least is very strong and able to be filed so I cant see it wearing out too fast. It's also thick enough that it shouln't run into anywhere you don't want it to. I reckon it would be a better way to do it than those seals, which I don't think will seal against engine vacuum even when first pushed in, let alone after constantly moving. The best you could do with those seals IMO is coat the wear face in a really thick grease to get some sort of seal, but it would need re-doing often and would be very messy.
Best of luck with it
Cheers
Josh