Distributor adjustment

PaulB

I need some help.
When replacing the head on my car I also replaced the distributor housing with an alloy one from canleys. Now that I've got the car back together again she won't start. It seems that there is no spark at the plugs, so I think I may need to adjust the distributor.
How does one do this?
Thanks

Hello Paul,

"It seems that there is no spark at the plugs"

Sparks and timing are two different things. You need to get a spark first (or at least check if you have).
Assuming that then the timing should be set. I don't know what your timing specification is but if you turn the engine to number one cylinder firing (look at the rotor arm and check that its near the number one lead in the distributor cap, if it's near number 4 (6) then you're 360 degrees out with the engine position, so turn it one full turn)  with the timing pointer to 5 degrees before TDC. Twist the distributor body so the points are about to open. It should start on that and then fine tuning after.
Alec

Alec

It depends how out of adjustment everything is.

Your spark plugs may still be sparking just not at the right time.

Best thing to do is to either use a timing gun to check its sparking or remove a spark plug and place it on something grounded - then crank it over and you'll see it sparking (don't touch it - it will give you a nasty shock)

If you have someone to hand then the best way to get it running is to check the rotor arm is pointing at number one spark plug HT lead at 10 degrees on the pulley. If it doesn't start then loosen the dizzy and get a helper to rotate the dizzy slowly until it fires.

jcarruthers wrote:
It depends how out of adjustment everything is.

then crank it over and you'll see it sparking (don't touch it - it will give you a nasty shock)

I remember as a 15 year old when i got my first ped to put on the road, watched my dad testing the spark by holding the lead and resting the plug on the head, then pushing the kick start down to test for a spark, i tried a few weeks later when had a starting problem, main problem was i failed to notice my dad had held the lead, i held the plug by the metal hexagon bit and kicked it over, might have only been a 6 volt system but the spark at the plug was much more and don't half make you jump hehehehehehehe, needless to say i have not done it again in 15 years of playing with engines.

Rich

I've always thought that when, for whatever reason, the timing is lost, then finding tdc on the firing stroke on number 1 cylinder (finger over spark plug hole and feel the compression), back it off the required degrees (as James suggests - 10 deg), get the rotor arm lined up with number 1 spark plug lead on the dizzy cap, with ignition on and cap off turn the dizzy until an electrical click is heard or spark at points is seen, or even a spark at the plug.

That should start it and then fine tune with timing gun.

OK, I found the problem. It was the points, they were knackered. I replaced them last night and after spraying some cold start into the air filters she started.

However, she doesn't sound right and is running rough like an old dog.

I presume I need to tune her and get the timing set right?

Archived