Matt306

Quoted from JohnD
JJ,
was that the EBC recommendations on 'bedding in'?
I'm surprised they need such delay.  Does seem almost unsafe that new pads are not fully effective for 200 miles or more!
Most pads can be done immediately, by that process or similar.  It's not a physical thing, conforming their faces to the shape of the disc.   The objective is to condition the pads by heating them to the highest temp they will face, without fading them.  

John

Yes John, that is lifted directly from the EBC website on bedding in procedure for their pads.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from JohnD
Nothing, except they may never be optimal.

This page offers a further reasosn for 'bedding in'.  They're the experts.
http://stoptech.com/technical-.....res/brake-pad-bed-in

Jhn

Reading this article indicates that the special bedding in process is to get a coating of pad material onto the disc which then improves high temperature performance of the brakes. It seems usual braking ie at lower temperatures is not much affected by having the coating or not so I assume that the difference felt by the user depends a lot on their driving style.

I too use NOS asbestos brakes. None of the modern materials is as good. The 'Holy Grail' of the brake industry after so many years remains to find a material as all round ideal as a braking medium.

If you are worried about the infinitesimal risk from the dust, when you change or adjust them, wear a paper mask and just wash down the shoes and mechanisms into a basin with brake cleaner.
The issue as brake shops was mechanics blowing off the dust day in, day out with airlines filling the shop with a persistent fog of brake dust.

I too use NOS asbestos brakes. None of the modern materials is as good. The 'Holy Grail' of the brake industry after so many years remains to find a material as all round ideal as a braking medium.

If you are worried about the infinitesimal risk from the dust, when you change or adjust them, wear a paper mask and just wash down the shoes and mechanisms into a basin with brake cleaner.
The issue as brake shops was mechanics blowing off the dust day in, day out with airlines filling the shop with a persistent fog of brake dust.

Paper masks are useless when it comes to asbestos. The fibres to worry about are the ones that need an electron microscope to see. When I was in the industry we tested for bigger fibres, if they where present we assumed the smaller ones were too.

Best advice, wash the brakes down (soapy water is ideal, or aerosol brake cleaner) and wash away. Never use an airline.
Same applies to clutches, and I bet the vast majority of our cars are still fitted with asbestos clutches.