Fitting Mintex 1144 Pads?

yorkshire_spam

New pads arrived in the post, the box contains 4 pads (as expected) but also what look like some sort of anti-squeel stick on   pads. Should these be stuck to the backs of the pads before fitting?
Should they be fitted with or without the "normal" anti-squeel shims?

I've got the bedding in instructions:
2) Following initial brake test start with 3 – 4 light applications from 30mph down to 0mph.
After these, follow the steps below according to Material.
M1144: 6 / 7 medium pressure applications 70mph down to 30mph

I take it this means "brake from 70 to 30 using medium pressure, repeat 6 or 7 times" NOT "brake from 70 to 30 by applying the brake 6 or 7 times"

I used both shims and them sticky pads, then spent two weeks figuring out why my pedal had to be pumped twice to do anything! The pistons were just squishing the sticky pads against the sharp edges on the shims, and when i took the sticky pads off they were all distorted and mangled.

Just use the shims and a smear of red brake grease. They will still squeal for a bit of time, but it takes a while for everything to become centralised and evenly applied.

Regarding the bedding, what you derived from that is spot on. When you're doing each application, bury your foot hard until you get to 30mph. Took me quite a few more times than 6 or 7 to get them bedded in though, on the bypass between Bingley and Keighley.

Fitted mintex 4 weeks ago, got special grease from mintex against squealing.

I've not used those sticky pads, only a new set of shims & pins.
But did the bedding it line it should.
But even then they are not up to .. only after a while of driving they do work a lot better  ;)

I've used the shims with and without the sticky pads and not had a problem either way.

And yep, I also agree your interpretation is correct. Except don't go down to 0mph if you can help it and instead let it roll out and accelerate. Stopping with your foot on the brake and a hot pad (especially a new one) can transfer the material to the disc giving you areas with higher friction.

6797 wrote:
Thanks guys! Just need to figure out where I can go to safely bed them in, Bainzy's suggestion of the Aire valley trunk road might be a good one!
Mike - I don't think I'd hit 70mph even once on the way over to the OST... let alone 6 or 7 times!
;)

I average around 70 between the Bradford outskirts and the BP garage at Crosshills......Keighley gets in the way :P

It was rather convenient for me as it's the closest bit of free road I could find near my house, and having two lanes means it's easier to brake hard without annoying someone behind you as you can just move lanes.

When you've just fitted new discs and pads, and your house is up on a hill with no flat road in sight, even the 5 minutes it takes sliding down over the canal through Crossflats using just the handbrake and engine compression to slow it down is pretty hairy!!