Fuse for Side/Rear Lights

Pete Arnold

Please can anyone help me locate the line fuse for the side/rear lights on my Vitesse Mk I.

My workshop manual states - The line fuse is a component of the main harness.  It is positioned behind the facia panel adjacent to the left hand dash side panel.  To locate the line fuse when the unit is not visible carefully pull the brown/red and red wires adjacent to the harness "break out" point.  This action should draw the unit into view.

I've been doing various contortions this afternoon looking under the dash but I'm blowed if I can find it.  Any tips welcome!

Quoted from Nick Jones
In the corner behind the glove box near the joint between front and rear looms IIRC.  Not sure if present on early 1600?

Nick, I can't thank you enough!
After another 90 minutes of 'contortionism', I've just found it. What on earth possessed Triumph to make a  fuse so inaccessible!

I'd almost given up hope of ever finding the fuse when I spotted a red flex which had apparently been rubbing against something and was showing a tiny piece of bare wire.  I gently pulled this down to make space enough to wrap some red tape around it and, hey presto, the fuse holder came with it!

Fuse now replaced and side/rear lights working again.  Presumably the bare wire was the cause of the fuse blowing.  I'm now having my well deserved cuppa before I go back and replace all the trim etc.

It is a very strange place to put a fuse.  I first came across it from the other directions (as it were) when sorting the loom out for my Vitesse many years ago.  At first I thought it was a dodgy PO addition and couldn't work out what it was for.....

Mind you, some modern stuff has similar tendencies on a much larger scale with fuse boxes scattered all over, some quite well hidden.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
It is a very strange place to put a fuse.  I first came across it from the other directions (as it were) when sorting the loom out for my Vitesse many years ago.  At first I thought it was a dodgy PO addition and couldn't work out what it was for.....

Mind you, some modern stuff has similar tendencies on a much larger scale with fuse boxes scattered all over, some quite well hidden.

Nick

And some not so modern stuff as well. Years ago I had an '89 Fiesta bought as a stopgap - bloody horrible thing and soon moved on. The flasher relay failed and do you think I could find it? Ended up taking it to an auto sparks to get it sorted, he didn't charge much - couldn't really as it took about 2 mins as I watched - but damned annoying for something so simple.