Halogen Headlamps Conversion?

molten

Hello

Just in process of checking electrics. I notice that one of the sealed beam headlights seemed to smoke a little when o high beam and the glass now has a blue tint in some places so perhaps the sealed unit is about to pack up.

Is it worth doing the halogen conversion?
Does the halogens still have the same features, ie high beam and flash?
When fitting them I take it that you retain the inner bowl and discard the outer bowl??

Thanks
Scott

Yes, the halogens are a direct replacement! You can also get ones with high beam, low beam and sidelights as well if you like! You can keep the old headlight bowls but you'd be better off cutting them to gain access from behind or using an alternative type of mount (such as the ones sold by SVC). Without doing that, you have to take the whole headlamp shroud and gubbins off just to change a bulb!

I have these on my spit 1500, the place is just up the road from me which i why i used them, had them on the car for 2 years now and no problems, quite easy to fit, just a little rewiring to make the connectors fit i think, but quite an easy job.

I think they take the std H4 halogen bulb, seem bright enough as well, most people say to run them through a relay, i didnt bother and have been fine so far.

rich

michael_charlton wrote:
See my article on headlamp/spotlamps in the CT Jan `11 mag complete with relay instructions
Straight conversion and adding relays are the best way to go

Sadly I am not yet a paid up club member so dont think I could view your article >:(. Another reason to join I suppose.

Would these be ok?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260885454332?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

And will they operate same as sealed beam ones ie, normal/highbeam and B/B Flash?

Thanks

Archived