1500 single gearbox rebuild

markythesparky

ahhh youre looking for the Holy Grail! Top quality front and middle bearings which are the same for all the small chassis Triumphs, RWD Dolomites, 1500 MG Midgets, Marinas (and maybe others) are next to impossible to find. The ones offered by the usual suppliers seem to be Korean and apparently not a patch on the originals although, depending on how many miles and how youre going to drive, the unit may still give good service.

The alternative is find, and then inspect closely, original used bearings which can have rocking play on the inner race but certainly no radial movement and, of course, run smooth.....

Bearing - 104433?

I believe is equiv. to :

MJ1NR, rms8nr,  MS10K
My bearing stockist can't get branded ones anymore from what I think of as "major brands", when I bought them for people over the last few years they've been new old stock "when they are gone they are gone"

Best I can manage from my contacts these days are "KSM Japan" at about 35 to 40 quid per bearing!

Corresponding bearings without the snap ring are RMS8 and MJ1

No-name rubbish start at about 7 quid for those, but branded ones are still expensive. (25 quid for R&M)

I'd wondered in the past on one forum or another if the snap-ring was required. Came to the conclusion that it was and that having the groove machined on would end up costing as much as buying the bearings with the ring/groove.

Sam, what bearings did you supply me with last year when i rebuilded my first gearbox ?

Think RHP at the time.

Seems to be still running good after 7500 miles.

Ps.. dont by cheap bearings.... 

This was found in a belgian supplier recon box after 1,5 year and around 19.000miles (yes a lot of miles !)

The parts that holds the balls inside fell apart.. went inside the gearbox... found shavings in the od to (even after the first oil change on my self build box).

And yes it still drive pretty well !

I take it thats the input shaft but was that with the gearbox assembled? As I say the front bearing will allow it to rock like that but the needle bearing between it and the mainshaft should, if in good condition, keep it much more rigid.

The amount of movement your talking about sounds pretty good particularly if thats with the old needle bearing.....

Just finnished stripping gearbox down and cleaning case and noticed that ser no has been stamped over the FR is still there but a ATT2272 040692 has been stamped I was wondering if this is a remanufacturers number and date stamp any ideas who marked there boxes with the ATT stamp, all insides ok except it looks like someone tried to put it in reverse at 30mph.