noisy diff or gearbox?

beefertoo

just finally got my herald back on the road but now its got a noisy diff or gearbox,i cant decide which.

basically there is a high pitched whine from it when either accelerating or cruising that gos completely when I let off the power. it does seem to be coming from the rear but I've just changed the diff with still the same noise.

its a 3 rail o/d box and standard diff, could it be the box? if it is would it be worth converting to 5 speed?

thanks craig

• 4 weeks later...

thanks pete, stripped and rebuilt the diff with new bearings and seals paying particular care over the preload/ clearances etc but its still just as noisy......

looks like i'm needing a new crownwheel and pinion set (one side of the c/w teeth have a 'mottled' look to them), something is grinding itself to bits as there is metal chips in the oil when I split the case.

currently its a 4.11 but would it be better with a 3.89 or even a 3.63 set? has an o/d box with a standard engine but I do a lot of motorway driving

craig

When setting diffs with used gears the meshing pattern is more important than backlash.  I have fallen into this trap myself and it was incredibly noisy!

If the CW/P gears are at all pitted or have sharp edges then there is zero chance of quiet running anyway.  Metal chips are a bad sign......

I would have thought that a good 13/60 would pull a 3.89 diff, even with overdrive, but a 3.63 is probably pushing it (would be ready for a 1500!).  3.89 will mean changing propshaft and driveshaft flanges.

Nick

thanks nick, there are sharp edges on the c/w. I did wonder if a 3.63 might be pushing it and i'm not wanting to be putting a 1500 in,i'm quite happy with the 1300.

will the 3.89 c/w replace my 4.11 c/w meaning I can use my original carrier etc? or will I have to get a diff that was 3.89 to start with?

sorry for the q's but its an expensive mistake to make....

craig

p.s  if any one has a spare 3.89 diff for sale please????

I don't think much, if anything is interchangeable between 4.11 and 3.89.  More than one version of the 4.11 too.  CW/P are matched to each other - not to be swapped even between two of same ratio.

Suggest getting a complete diff.  Vitesse 2L, GT6 with OD and Spit Mk4 1300 had them as standard though the latter will only have 4 spring bolt holes.

Nick

re flanges and such....

Some 4.11 diffs, certainly fitted to mk3 spit and I think late heralds, had a large output shaft that will swap into the 3.89/3.63 diff. Not sure on the changeover numbers, but I have done it a couple of times.
As to prop, you could swap the prop flange, or redrill the fill input flange to suit what you have. Not difficult, especially if you have a spare uj flange  kicking about to use as a template, drill holes offset to existing. (have owned a car that had previously had the prop flange bodged nastily, so we won't go there)

Quoted from cliftyhanger
Some 4.11 diffs, certainly fitted to mk3 spit and I think late heralds, had a large output shaft that will swap into the 3.89/3.63 diff. Not sure on the changeover numbers, but I have done it a couple of times.

Yes, we did that with a 13/60 that we uprated to 1500 - the original Herald output shafts went in the Spitfire diff so that we only had to swap one UJ (on the prop)

On my 13/60 albeit with a large bearing 1300 engine,i have a single rail o/d box and a 3.63 diff.
It will pull fine normally, just not up hills in o/d top.
It completed the last RBRR and the o/d makes a big difference to cruising.

The only mods are a four branch manifold and twin carbs.

I am building a 1500 for it though.
Steve

well i'm now sorted out, nearly.  got a rebuilt 3.89 from GT6 M on here at a good price(he has others)

thanks for everyones help,now to find the time to fit and trial..... looking forward to a quiet drive (well as quiet as a herald gets)

craig