Nick Jones

Like just about everything else vaguely mechanical on this car, the gearbox mount on the PI is knackered.  It hasn't actually come apart yet, but very squashy and gooey.

Where to get new ones?  Rimmers have them listed at around £26 (out of stock) but Chris Witors are £ 46.  One hopes that the Witor ones are superior in some way?  :-/

Also, it looks as though there may have been some rubbery bush things between cross-member and body, but difficult to be sure as there is very little left.....   :(

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

Also, it looks as though there may have been some rubbery bush things between cross-member and body, but difficult to be sure as there is very little left.....   :(

Nick

I dont know if CW's gearbox mounts differ to those offered by other traders, however he does supply the "rubbery things" in polybush material - fit and forget!  Each one is basically two bushes in a sandwich with a metal sleeve up the centre.  They are the same as on a Stag, I have a vague recollection that LD Part also have them.

Renew them very quickly!

Easy to do, I used CW ones (and the Superflex barcket to body bushes) and was pleased with the quality, haven't used other brands, did hear one or two negative comments about non CW ones.

I also belive that my failure to change them ASAP, lead to a UJ failing, it's a lot of weight to banging back and forth onto a UJ!

You'll be surprised at how many new rattles you'll hear once the drivetrain is properly insulated from the cabin! ;D

Andy

Large rear mount needs to be Metalastic (about �50) or don't bother, The cheap ones are rubbish.

Chris Witor used to also sell a repro product at £17. He don't anymore.

MikeyB is talking about the mounts at either end of the rear cross member.

CW (and others) do poly bushes for each end.

Don't hestiate, just do them.

Cheers

Colin

Nick_Jones wrote:
Where to get new ones?  Rimmers have them listed at around £26 (out of stock) but Chris Witors are £ 46.  One hopes that the Witor ones are superior in some way?  :-/

Yes & yes

Re the gearbox mount, the cheap ones will fall apart fairly quickly; usual cheap rubber problem.

The 'top hat' bushes can be done in Superflex, they last longer than rubber.

Even I agree that the more expensive mounts are worth it.  I had a CW expensive one fitted on my car 4 years ago, no problems at all.  I'd heard tales about the cheap ones ripping apart as soon as the car was moved so decided to pay the little bit extra.

Fitchetts would probably supply rubber 'top hat' things if you want to save money.

Nick_Jones wrote:
One hopes that the Witor ones are superior in some way?  :-/

Yes - well that's what he told me  ;D

I don't think they are the original metalastic type though so I don't know where you'd get one of those.

Just noticed that they come with a 3 year warranty ... I've used up 2 of those already and the car hasn't gone anywhere yet :'(

Mark

Yes, that is rather remarkable   ;D  Thanks guys  :).

I expect Lord Sorbington will be along shortly to tell me to convert it to auto (again)  :P
He may have a point.... :-/

Having now fully dismantled the gearbox I really can't see anything too horribly wrong with it (a first for me with a Triumph gearbox I think!) - no 2 synchro looks alot like the others - just doesn't work very well.  Mr Papworth has a low opinion of repro synchro rings.....  I have to weigh them when I get home to see if it's one of those - apparently the repro ones are noticeably lighter :-/.  Gearbox does appear to have been apart before relatively recently in mileage terms - has a non-original steel bush under 2nd which looks newer and all the ball/rollers and laygear thrusts look newish.  The builder was no respecter of tolerances though - some of the endfloats are way out.

Nick

I have a set of Rimmers mounts on the estate and so far I haven't had any problems. They have been on for about 20k miles and over 2.5 years, including last year's RBRR!
I have since sourced some genuine 'Metalastik' items ready for the inevitable failure, perhaps that's why they haven't failed.
I would agree with Andy, worn rear mounts ruin UJs.

Colin.

I guess I'll invest with Mr Witor then.

Speaking of propshafts, the UJs seem ok (though I may do them anyway) but, the sliding spline is locked absolutely solid - nver seen one do that before.

Starter ring gear is starting to come off too, 2 - 3mm off the stop.  May well use my Vitesse flywheel - see how the concentric clutch measuring goes.

Nick

Just bought one of these. This guy has quite a few. Only about 12 pounds at current exchange rate. Worth posting to UK?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Triumph/auction-347762485.htm

received it yesterday and looks good.

Archived