gearbox confusion?

BigT-DK

I have just had a look two overdrive-boxes a mate has on offer...
(for my spitfire)
they are the type with an extended selector housing and are bolted up to D-type overdrives with round out-put flanges.
comm nrmbs seem a bit odd.

KF 15321 (this a US-spec GT6box according to information on this site?)
FNR 911197 (?????) this one maybe has more layers of nmbrs...reconditioned maybe?

Can anyone shed light on what these boxes came out of?

anything to consider during rebuild ? will in time be mated to a lightly tuned 1300 engine.

The GT6 gearbox will have certain things wrong for the 1300. The incorrect input shaft (diameter & splines) and the wrong bellhousing. Not sure about the other box.

I would look at swapping / trading the GT6 box for a 1300 Mk IV box or have it rebuilt into such a box. The 3 rail Mk I-III box's do not have synchro 1st whereas the GT6 box's and the MKIV 1300 box do.

yep,

that´s what confuses me... the number on the gearbox suggests it being GT6 but the bell-housing attached is a "spitifre" type...

Both boxes have what seem to be the correct bell-housing / input-shafts etc. (they look identical)

I guess the numbers stamped on the boxes refer to some sort of rebuild at some point?

Well there both 4-pot box's (now).

The KF box was from a GT6 so has synchro 1st same as MK IV Spitfire. If the casing for the other box is 1/4'' shorter then this is from a Spitfire I-III.

If so I would keep the KF box and sell the other one.

If the casings are the same length, then it does'nt matter they're both have synchro 1st.

Well - I took a look yesterday too. One is stamped KF, which indicates a GT6 MK3 US market.  Still I doubt that it is a GT6 box as it has the same number of splines on the inputshaft as the MkIV box next to it.

The other box has been in the hands of a rebuilder, but you can see the original number under the rebuilders number - and that is a FH box - see photo

Regards
Nick

Archived