LT77 gearbox into Gt6 ?

Gt6s

Looking good so did the 2600 engine plate bolt up to the Triumph block or did you modify a Triumph one?

I'm assuming that the welded section fouled with the chassis. What's the reasoning behind the concentric slave? Just wondering if it's a necessity or if I decide to do it I could use the 2600 clutch mechanism...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rover 2300 / 2600 bell housing bolt holes all bar one line up (Big T / TR TOTALLY STOCK engine backplate ) perfectly bar one bolt, this is where the protrusion for the clutch arm sits. The said protrusion had to be cut off to clear the chassis rails on Gt6. Hence the need for the concentric clutch slave cylinder.

Laurence

Quoted from Gt6s
The Rover 2300 / 2600 bell housing bolt holes all bar one line up (Big T / TR TOTALLY STOCK engine backplate ) perfectly bar one bolt, this is where the protrusion for the clutch arm sits. The said protrusion had to be cut off to clear the chassis rails on Gt6. Hence the need for the concentric clutch slave cylinder.

Laurence

Haha! I do like it when things line up perfectly personally I'm hoping that when Saab re-designed the slant-4 to make the B engine they didn't bother re-designing the bellhousing bolts so I can hook up an LT77 to one of those.

Good to know about the clearance on the bellhousing and the need to use a concentric slave.

Laurence
So just so I understand you correctly if this was going into a 2000/2500 or Stag you wouldn't need to cut off the clutch support and thus could use a standard clutch rather than a concentric clutch?  I wonder if the LT 77 would be able to cope with a Triumph V8 power?

Interesting work

thanks
Martin

Officially they're rated at 280lb-ft, but there's plenty of much higher powered RV8s out there that run them quite happily.

There's a number of revisions of the LT77 that will probably have different torque capabilities (later suffixes being stronger than earlier ones, and the R380 being stronger still), but even the earliest ones should be up to all but an insanely built Triumph V8.

A COMPLICATION ! Today I put a Gt6 flywheel. Also brand new 2300 / 2600 / TR7 clutch on a mock up engine for measuring up distances for the concentric clutch cylinder. The good news is, as I expected I still have to machine back the aluminium hub that carries the cylinder a bit more. Even had I machined it back too far I can always shim it forward again. ANYWAY I don't need to do that !
HOWEVER !
The complication is that the spigot shaft is too long. The mounting flat on the flywheel is 158mm away from the face of the gearbox. The end of the spigot splines to the gearbox face is 162mm so spigot is 4mm too long. I can resolve this. Just have not decided exactly I will do this. Any Ideas welcome. Drill and grinder or set the gearbox up in the lathe and mount a grinder on it ?

Laurence

Well, you can take a grinder to it, but then you'll need to do the same whenever you swap the box (I know they are stronger than Triumph boxes but.... if you can bust an anvil....)

Could put a spacer plate between gearbox and bell housing or use the outer edge of another engine backplate to provide a pre-drilled and shaped spacer to move the whole lot back.

Nick

Sound idea Nick I have plenty of Big T back plates kicking about, The plasma cutter would make very short work of one. but trying to reduce weight not add to it

No panic anyway ! Car needs body tub and a chassis (Yeah she is that knackered). building as a road legal race car from the ground up. Currently punching holes in a reconned chassis taking a pound or three off it. Replacement body tub also altered a bit.

Laurence

Quoted from BiTurbo228
Out of interest where are you punching holes? Just wondering if there's anywhere I've been missing

Front cross member, hinge boxes, outriggers frame over diff, steering rack mount and short outriggers. Also trimmed down short outriggers trimmed off top of rotoflex brackets and underside part of inner turret mounts. Note most holes dimple died too.

Laurence

Quoted from Gt6s

Front cross member, hinge boxes, outriggers frame over diff, steering rack mount and short outriggers. Also trimmed down short outriggers trimmed off top of rotoflex brackets and underside part of inner turret mounts. Note most holes dimple died too.

Laurence

Ah so most of the places I've already done haven't done the outriggers or the bit over the diff yet though so they're definite options

Decided today I would concentrate on fitting a new head liner to my other Gt6. Got sidetracked a little and measured up the spigot with the spacer ring fitted and now the splines no longer foul with the flywheel and the clutch plate is well engaged on the splines WELL HAPPY.  
The new spacer ring, I was a little concerned about adding weight as I am putting this car on a diet, trying to shed weight from the chassis up. I have realised now I can trim weight out of the centre of the existing engine plate with the plasma cutter to more than compensate.
I was on the phone with a mate last night. His comment was that before I got the plasma cutter I would not have contemplated cutting down engine back plates but I would have found another way. That's true enough, plasma cutter is fun though.

Laurence

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
When you say 'remove weight', I take it you don't have an aluminium one fitted already then? Is that an option compared to webbing out a steel one?

Limited funds Jonny Jimbo ! I still have a load of stuff to buy. Full roll cage, fibreglass doors etc. Also not the only car that needs money spending. An aluminium back plate is not a priority Cutting the centre out of the steel one COSTS NOTHING bar a little electricity. Just like punching holes in the chassis and whacking surplus metal costs nothing.

Laurence

That's fair enough. I was just curious if you'd already got one or not.

Not sure what the weight saving is of the alloy back plate, but if you buy a Porsche GT4 Club Sport Cayman track-only car, which is 40kg lighter than standard, it will cost you £40,000 extra. £1000 per kilo seems an expensive weight save!

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
That's fair enough. I was just curious if you'd already got one or not.

Not sure what the weight saving is of the alloy back plate, but if you buy a Porsche GT4 Club Sport Cayman track-only car, which is 40kg lighter than standard, it will cost you £40,000 extra. £1000 per kilo seems an expensive weight save!

I think they might need to bump up my DLA before I can buy a Porsche OF ANY KIND !