LT77 gearbox into Gt6 ?

Gt6s

As title has anyone ever done this ? I have a V8 Rover engine and LT77 box lurking in workshop and was wondering if the LT77 box can be mated to my modded EFI 2.6 ? I do not want to fit the Rover engine Partially because exhausts and bonnet clearance for carb are both issues. The clutch arm cover will need to be cut off the bellhousing to clear chassis rail and a concentric slave cylinder will need to be fitted. THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM ! The V8 Rover is similar size bellhousing and starter position is very similar. JUST WONDERING !

Laurence

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Vitesse Mk2, (possibly owned by a Steve Hilson?) that used to appear at the occasional south west hillclimb with a 2.5 and LT77.  It went very well until he stuffed it into a tree (sideways) at Wiscombe Park.  There used to be a video of the incident on Youtube

I had been talking to him before he stuffed it, but he point blank wouldn't tell me how he'd done it.  All he would say was that it was entirely a parts-bin exercise with no special parts made or even modified.  I've thought about this from time to time and my best guess is that it involves parts from the SD1 2300, 2600 or, less likely, the 2000.  Finding the SD1 parts could be a challenge now.

Nick

Just for laughs because I 'cause I found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knk4gV402Vs

Quoted from Nick Jones
There was a Vitesse Mk2, (possibly owned by a Steve Hilson?) that used to appear at the occasional south west hillclimb with a 2.5 and LT77.  It went very well until he stuffed it into a tree (sideways) at Wiscombe Park.  There used to be a video of the incident on Youtube

I had been talking to him before he stuffed it, but he point blank wouldn't tell me how he'd done it.  All he would say was that it was entirely a parts-bin exercise with no special parts made or even modified.  I've thought about this from time to time and my best guess is that it involves parts from the SD1 2300, 2600 or, less likely, the 2000.  Finding the SD1 parts could be a challenge now.

Nick

Just for laughs because I 'cause I found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knk4gV402Vs

Hmmm, there's a possibility that they kept the same mounting bolt points for the 2300/2600 as the OHV Triumph 6 which it's (incredibly) loosely based on. Would be odd if they did, but definitely a possibility.

I'll see if I can pull out my alloy rear plate and offer it up to the 2600 engine I have lying around. Would be interesting to find out, if only for curiosity's sake

That would be most useful.

I've got a free 2600 engine to go into my Mk1 Estate. Working at JLR, there are people here that worked on the SD1 all those years back, so hopefully they can tell me the tricks for getting more poke. I have been told that originally the 2600 six was more powerful than the 3.5L V8 so it had to be detuned... I've also heard the 2600 engine can be dreadfully unreliable...

Quoted from Mark Hammond
It'll fit but why would you want to?  LT77 horrible, heavy, clunky old 'box.

M.

Firstly because I have it. secondly because current box is a 2500 S unit also described by some as a horrible heavy clunky old box. WITH HORIBLE RATIOS !

There currently is a 2600 SD1 breaking on the bay of evil.

Laurence

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
That would be most useful.

I've got a free 2600 engine to go into my Mk1 Estate. Working at JLR, there are people here that worked on the SD1 all those years back, so hopefully they can tell me the tricks for getting more poke. I have been told that originally the 2600 six was more powerful than the 3.5L V8 so it had to be detuned... I've also heard the 2600 engine can be dreadfully unreliable...

That'd be brilliant if you can speak to people who might have experience with improving the output of them. I'm convinced that there's a ton of untapped potential in there but no-one seems to have tried it (and written about it on the internet at least). I do have it pegged at 151bhp @ 5250 and 160lb-ft @ 3800 before it was restricted but lord knows where I got that info from.

Looking at chamber shape and valve sizes it should have more potential than the OHV 6. 42mm inlet valves as standard sound very nice apparently it's got a high quality crankshaft stock as well which should mitigate some of the issues with a 4-bearing bottom end. Oh, and on AROnline they talk about prototypes with an 82mm bore to make it a 3.0l pistons might be trickier to find though as they're a semi-Heron head.

Issues I know of (only from reading about them mind you) are cams seizing in the head because the oil supply gets gunked up in a pressure relief valve between the block and the head. My thinking is just whip out the valve. Might burn a bit more oil, but that's less of a problem for older cars that don't need to pass emissions tests.

I also gather there's no gasket between the head and the exhaust header which is a bloody stupid idea. Easily rectified though.

Apologies for the thread drift...

Quoted from Gt6s

The V8 I have had no exhaust manifold gaskets either.

Laurence

Curious. I wonder if it was simply a Leyland cost-cutting exercise or whether that was something that was done by other manufacturers at the time. Seems silly to have a cast iron manifold mating straight to an alloy head with differing thermal expansion rates.

Oh, and incase anyone was wondering I weighed my 2600 I6 and it came to 196kg fully dressed. A little heavier than the 183kg Triumph OHV I6, but bigger dimensions will do that even with an alloy head...

• 1 month later...

Update with pics hopefully ! Pics show modified 2300 / 2600 Rover bell housing to the Triumph six cylinder. Modification to Bell housing and the piece cut out. Also MOCK UP of the concentric clutch cylinder its mounting hub. As stated this is a mock up I still need to measure up distances to clutch diaphragm and machine the hub to suit. BTW the spouting bolts are all local hardware shop had WILL BE CHANGED !

Laurence