Reconditioned gearbox from Rimmer

GTRoger

I need a new gearbox for my GT6. Anyone of you got experience with a reconditioned box from Rimmer? I remember from the past they didn't have the best reputation. But maybe I'm wrong or things have changed.....

Rimmer does a 15% discount and delivers free of charge to France at the moment, so I'm tempted to buy a box instead of rebuilding one myself.

TRGB use a gearbox reconditioner that i know, and have used for my spit,  and I can't fault my box, so perhaps see if they have any deals. Im sure Rimmers are ok now, but i had a bad experience with a diff of theirs once and wouldn't use them again for mechanical parts!

Cheers guys!

Problem for me are the shipping costs to NL for a gearbox. Also I have to send my old box back to the UK. This will make it very expensive. Unfortunately I can't think of any company on the continent that can supply me a good quality gearbox for a fair price. For some reason suppliers over here think all parts are made of gold......

Maybe I have to "arrange" another UK holiday.......  ;)

mike papworth refurbed my Dtype o/d gt6 box couple of years ago,
still going well, never not gone into o/drive! and with a 2.5, also done 2x track days,and the 10cr in that time!   8) plus my heavy foot, so I'd definatly reccomend him to anyone! :)

Also ran a gbox from fidgitytits for a few yrs before converting to an o/d , That also was fine! :)

GTRoger wrote:
Cheers guys!

Problem for me are the shipping costs to NL for a gearbox. Also I have to send my old box back to the UK. This will make it very expensive. Unfortunately I can't think of any company on the continent that can supply me a good quality gearbox for a fair price. For some reason suppliers over here think all parts are made of gold......

Maybe I have to "arrange" another UK holiday.......  ;)

see you at Stoneleigh then!   ;) 8)

thescrapman wrote:
Roger

I am sure someone coming over in MArch would be able to assist with back and forth transport if you needed it.

Cheers

Colin

Haven't thought of that.... plenty big saloons coming over for the rally, if anyone has some space to carry a gearbox that would be great.

Roger

Here`s the new cast of The  Gearbox Great Escape soon to be released:

The Manufacturer.........Graham at Fitchetts
The Scrounger.............Mike Charlton
Intelligence.................Colin wake
Dispersal.....................Philip Charlton
Big X...........................Roger
The Tunnel King...........RoyBoy

The Story? Once The Manufacturer knows whats happeneing, Roy Boy helps the gearbox escape from Stalag Telford,England, and make it to border fence into Warwickshire. The Scrounger manages to smuggle the gearbox in to safe Yorkshire. In the middle of the night the gearbox quietly slips into Dispersals V8 and heads for the ferry and makes a dash to Holland.Big X is waiting to remove the gearbox under cover of darkness behind a Chinese restaurant.The escapee ,worn out, gearbox is then put in the V8 for the return journey back to Blighty, under the covers of a Leffe and Kronenbourg box.Now back in Blighty the old gearbox is returned to The Manufacturer. Intelligence?.................he thought of it before me!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057115/fullcredits  

MURPHIT_RITESPIF wrote:
Mike you forgot to include in your plan:- Micheal (stilts) Helm - The clutch King
the man that can rip a gearbox out and replace a clutch at the side of the road
before he's caught and frogmarched back into the beer 'cooler' again :P

OK, Big X, Leave the box in .The Cooler King can start the event after he`s ripped out the box, passed everyone else afterwards, then still win the b...... event! ;D ;D

Hey, don't forget that Roger has come to the rescue himself when Doug Foreman's GT6 clutch blew apart just prior to the Nov rally in 2005 in Belgium somewhere?? Roger delivered a new clutch to Doug an hour before the rally started and Doug and I fitted it with 5 mins to spare. Thanks to James for the photo.

James Carruthers has written this trip up up and can be found on this link:-

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=blog.php#blog49

• 1 month later...

Archived