gearbox oil leak

Ken Young

I recently removed the engine from my gt6. It went well although I had to jack the gearbox up to allow me to tilt the engine and get it out. Now its back in and working fine but I have noticed a leak of oil underneath the gearbox area.  Has anyone got any experience of this? Is it possible to damage some gearbox seal if you tilt the engine in this way? Are thereamy known weakpoints?
Thanks.
Ken

I presume you seperated the bell housing from the rear engine plate.
Where did you place the jack to lift the 'box?
Wood pad between?
Any sign of damage there?
Is the leak from the small drain hole in the bell?

There's an oil seal around the input shaft.  Strain on the shaft could damage that and lead to a leak into the bell.
The bell is fastened to the 'box casting by six bolts - I doubt if that joint could leak unless by gross damage.
The 'box housing is a solid, cast-iron lump.  The next joint is to either the rear extension around the output shaft, or to the overdrive.

I think you need to identify exactly where the leak is.
And take the radiator out to remove the engine - that should allow you space to lift it.  Me, I alwas remove engine and gearbox in one piece using a "LoadLeveller" on my hoist to tilt the mass in a controlled way.

John

Hi John.

Many thanks for your response.  I have had a good look at it tonight and as far as I can tell the oil is coming from the hole in the bell housing.  Next question is whether the oil is from engine or gearbox side?  I filled the gearbox with oil and it took a lot to fill which makes me pretty certain the leak must be from the gearbox side  (I topped it up in Jan so it should be full).

When I think back to the engine removal, I think the bell housing was a bit wet with oil which I didn't bother about at the time.. more's the pity!  Maybe the jiggling to get the engine back in made an existing problem worse.

I can see on the Hayne's manual the oil seal you are talking about.  Is it an easy job to replace without having to disturb the rest of the gearbox?  I am not really keen on doing that.

Thanks

Ken  

Thanks, Lancepar!  Yes, distinctly different smells.

If it's enegine oil, did you put a copper washer on the TOP bolt of the rear engine seal housing?
And did you "centralise" the seal and housing? Loosely do up, turnover the engine a few times, fully tighten.

Aha! Some (early?) Spitfires have a scroll seal at that point.   You need a Spitfire expert, not me.
John

1704 wrote:
The engine and gearbox use different types of oil.  Take a sample on your finger and smell it, then compare this to the smell from the cans used to top up the engine and gearbox.  Hypoid gear oil has a distinct odour.
8)

Yeah, Hypoid oil smells like cat p1ss :-)

8778 wrote:

I must be an oddball.. I think it smells like beef and I absolutely love it. ;D

;D ;D  you need to take that beef back to the shop!

I don't mind the smell of new gear oil, it's when it's old and used when it really wiffs.

The oil does smell like gear oil. BY the way I'm with cook1e.  I love the smell as well. The older the better.  I reckon I know what the problem is.  I had a tough time jiggling the engine back in and I thin that unseated the seal on the input shaft.  Back to the original question.  Is this easy to replace or do I need special tooling.
K