Electric fan universal fitting kit

MarkB

Hi all

Fitting an old Kenlow fan to a non standard radiator on my Vitesse. This is an old Kenlow and I can't remember exactly how its fitted to the rad but think it had M4 nut and bolts that went through the fins on the core fitting virtually flat against the rad. The bolts i had when fitted to I think my old spitfire were not long enough as this rad is quit a bit thicker. I don't like the idea of putting anything through the fins incase it rubs and wares against the core. Anyway, as I want the fan to fit as close to the rad as possible the easiest option was to buy a universal fitting kit with plastic ties which are barbed. They poke through the fins and a disc is slid on end of the tie and pulled up tight on the other side of the rad. Foam pads fit between. The kit was supplied with springs. there were no fitting instructions and nothing really on google apart from a picture fitting the springs as i have. The thought is it keeps the tie under tension.

Not convinced this is the right way these are meant to be fitted. The supplier said the springs can be used as spacers if you need to stand the fan off the rad which sounds wrong . Any ideas? Thinking of cutting them off and starting with another kit, leaving the springs off. Still concerned that there could be some chaffing form the ties although they are plastic and I have tried to keep them centred between the veins.

Also does it make any difference to the operation of the fan if the sender is fitted to the bottom hose? I don't think it will, it would suit this application due to space constraints.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark

I have had a Kenlowe fitted through the matrix on my Vitesse for years without a problem.

By putting the sender in the bottom hose it will be in cooled water rather than the hot water entering the radiator.  If you can you adjust the trigger temp to compensate should be OK.  If you use the same temp on the outlet as you would have used on the inlet there is a real danger that you will run too hot.

You could try asking Kenlowe about the springs

The feet on that Kenlowe look a bit different from the usual ones that use those universal fixings. Normally the flat base of the tie goes the other side of the rad with a foam pad under it then the spring is installed with the widest bit on the fan and the small end engages with a cup in the underside of the locking discs.
Id be interested to know how your set up works when you get it all installed.....

Quoted from glang
The feet on that Kenlowe look a bit different from the usual ones that use those universal fixings. Normally the flat base of the tie goes the other side of the rad with a foam pad under it then the spring is installed with the widest bit on the fan and the small end engages with a cup in the underside of the locking discs.
Id be interested to know how your set up works when you get it all installed.....

Thanks for all the replies.

Hi
Yes this Kenlow fan dates from around 1990. The feet did cause problem with the kit and I did see a small circle on the flat round discs that were supplied which the small end of the spring sort of fitted, but the spring diameter was to big to fit on the foot so I drilled out the hole to get the small end of the spring to seat, sought of. I may cut off the corner of the square end to see if they will sit more squarely. Just reassuring to know that the springs should be used to keep the ties taught.

I'll post a picture when I work out how aim going to plumb the rad in as you can see the inlets and out lets are in the wrong place compared with the original.

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Will that fit in a Vitesse? On my Vitesse there is just about enough room between the radiator and the engine to slip a fag paper in, but definitely not a fan!

I have a slimline Kenlowe like that on my Vitesse. It's tight but as long as the motor is carefully positioned to miss all the pulleys it does just about fit.

Quoted from glang
wow thats what I want! How have you modified the gearbox cover?
However with your fan I dont know its rating (w) but think that electric motor design has moved on a lot from the 90s and that a modern unit would be far more effective.....  

Hi all
I did consider a new Fan but after speaking with various people this model of fan is well rated and efficient. I don't know if things have really improved that much generally going by past experience of modern replacements. I'll see how it goes as it hasn't been used in years.

Moving the engine back gets involved. Possibly hoses, engine and gearbox mounts, exhaust, tunnel and cover, prop shaft, speedo, Heater fan box and probably other bits.

I believe its magnet materials and so strengths that have changed so that you can get more power out of the same physical size of motor which in rad fan design is important. The blades have improved as well but at the end of the day it all comes down to how many amps the fan draws as this is a direct indicator of the air that its moving.
Think the engine move will have to be a longer term project.....

True but Im driving mine in sothern spain and after 50years the cooling system just doesnt seem to be up to the job when I go slow or stop. I believe it was borderline even when new (not surprising when you consider the design history) and only needs a little 'push' to overwhelm it.....