MOT Exemption Advice

Sienna PI

Would someone be able to verify for me that already having Historic vehicle tax class ( and the car being the correct age) that I can just ignore my next MoT appointment or do I have to change to a different tax class again?

I must admit I went to a small Post Office to renew the tax with a completed a V112 form (Declaration of exemption from MoT) and was informed by the assistant that she thought i do not need to do anything! Is she correct?!!!

Advice appreciated!!!!

If the car is already marked as "Historic" tax class then you can get tax without an MOT by presenting a V112 declaration. You can also do this online, I believe. You are making a legally binding declaration that the vehicle is roadworthy and would pass an MOT if you put it through one, as this is the requirement for road tax. If you are lying, or uncertain, and the car is not roadworthy, your declaration makes you personally liable.

Get it MOT'd. For your own peace of mind, and yours and others' safety. Just get it MOT'd.

I fully agree with Rob - an MOT is not required but I am continuing to have my checked for my reassurance and safety.

The 2.5PI was a hot car for its day and is still quick, consequently the risk to other road users should something fail is high 🙂

H

Hi Rob and Howard,

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I agree with you both and as I'm quite confident that the car will pass it's test without too much difficulty i would rather do this when the time arrives!

I do still wonder where owners "stand" if they are at fault with an accident etc and are using the MoT exemption  as regards to there insurer?

Cheers!

Dave

I taxed my GT6 from SORN on-line. The DVLA taxed it, no problem. However, while I had insurance I did not have an MOT. On-line there wasn't anything to press/declare/make promises of ensuring my car was roadworthy, no text to read by way of a declaration...nothing! I thought that it must have been made MOT exempt automatically, otherwise my car could not be taxed.

To be sure, I telephoned the DVLA and they confirmed it was MOT exempt and that I didn't need to do anything. Belt and braces: I sent an email to the DVLA explaining the situation again (I'd like to paste both my and the DVLA text but this forum won't allow me to) and there reply confirmed that when I taxed my car my car became MOT exempt. To re-iterate...I didn't do anything to make my car MOT exempt. Most importantly there wasn't anything requiring me to make any sort of declaration as to my car's road-worthy-ness.

Whether you MOT your car or not is your choice Dave. Owners of cars eligible for MOT exemption are not MOT inspectors (generally). If our car is stopped by the police then we are subject to the law, although I can't see a copper getting under a car having a look. I wonder if there is any case-law yet on this issue? The ruling is bonkers but Govt made it like that.

Keep well.

And then what happens if you're abroad and they ask to see some sort of technical inspection paperwork! The government seems to have done this unilaterally without considering our former EU colleagues who can't believe that a vehicle can circulate without being inspected periodically...

Quoted from glang-

And then what happens if you're abroad and they ask to see some sort of technical inspection paperwork! The government seems to have done this unilaterally without considering our former EU colleagues who can't believe that a vehicle can circulate without being inspected periodically...

Actually that's not quite true. The EU had a directive that requires testing only in some cases and required (as is usual with the EU) each individual national government to determine how that should be applied. Our government decided that a 40 year age-related blanket MOT exemption was appropriate, not because the EU made them but certainly not without the EU's consent.

No I didn't think the U.K. would implement the change without complying with EU requirements but certainly our near neighbours haven't done it the same way and there seems to have been no communication with them to explain our system.

In France the rule is that a car registered before 1st January 1960 doesn't need the French version of the MOT. It is not a moving date but fixed.

My 1968 Herald is registered as a"collection" therefore only needs the test every 5 years instead of the "normal" registered cars at 2 year intervals. The test was last done in august 2018 so this summer I will get my local garage to put it on his lift and give it a look over.

As an owner of a 1973 Mk3 GT6, MOT exempt, I still have it tested every year for my peace of mind, also IF i did have a accident there is no way anybody can say it's an old car and not fit for the road, I think our cars are better looked after than most 

Thank you all for your replies!

I am now confident that the car is MoT exempt(!), even so, I will still take it for a yearly test.

I (personally) think these vehicles should still be tested and that the French time scale is a good idea; I agree that most classics are very well maintained now days and should be safe to use. However am I correct in thinking that the pass of an MoT is along the lines of the vehicle is only roadworthy on the day of passing its test etc (although the certificate lasts a year)?

The MOT only certifies that the vehicle was up to MOT standard on the day of the test. However, the MOT standard includes a margin for error that ought to mean most cars will remain essentially roadworthy for a year or so. A car with major defects found a few weeks after gaining an MOT usually results in investigation of the test station.