With all this on-going discussion about making the RBRR 'Carbon Neutral', should we also make it 'Wildlife Neutral'.

In other words, should be do something to replace the roadkill that we generate???

We accounted for a crow and 1,000's of midges. And one of our fellow competitors is a 'Bambi Slaughterer' I seem to remember.

Perhaps deliberately avoid a Rabbit for everyone we run over???

What about carrying a bag of carrots to leave behind at every fatality, so that the rabbits relatives stand a better chance of growing up big and strong???

All suggestions welcome.

Colin

p.s. I don't expect any wise cracks about the sheep in Wales, well not for at least a day....  ::)

Pah! Rabbits are just suicidal! Katie hit one when we were behind her.  Its quite interesting actually watching a rabbit commit suicide!

I mean it waited til she was way too close to even react to it then simply hopped out and BANG! One dead rabbit rolling down the road for a few feet before we then rolled over for good measure! :P

So now not only do we have to pay out to plant a tree for the rabbits to burrow under and poo around but we also now need to make a donation to the RSPCA to help pay for any animals that we simply injure as opposed to explode in a bloody gore fest as we drive over them!

This RBRR is getting more expensive by the minute. :P

If the guy in front hits a pheasant you can take it home and cook it (let it hang a while first).
But if he takes it home, it's poaching!

And suicidal bunnies?  Pshaw! A fully grown DEER tried to kill itself on the Acclaimers' car somewhere in Northumberland (I think).

All this talk of animal trophies reminds me of Tom Lehrer's Hunting Song.  Can't find it in original form on the 'Net, but here's the words and music, seperately: http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/hunting.htm

John

I hit/nudged/bumped/squashed a mittle Muntjack (spelling?) deer last night on the way to the Plough. Coming round the corner it stood transfixed in the road and I slammed the brakes on. I think we ended up nudging the little thing and it darted off into the woods. I thought I might have squashed it but no evidence on the road or under the car (etc). Quite scary. I stopped hazards on and checked all around.

Poor little thing. Must have shat itself!!!!!  :X

neil

I think it says a lot about the current state of our wildlife if we are killing more of it in accidents? I didn't kill/or see half as much 10 or more years ago. If we are killing more of it then there must be more of it to kill?
I come to work at silly'o'clock, the amount of things scurrying accross the road in front of my lights in the mornings has reached epidemic proportions, we need a cull!

On the Run car 70 only hit one wabbitt.  Greeks is right. The progress of man means less woods and wild aminal space.  We have also killed off most of the big animals who eat the little one's.  You in England have it lucky-YOU dont have SKUNKS! Hit one of them and you will be sorry!

No, the vista from my Triumph's windscreen hasn't changed to any degree in the 20 years I have been plying the lanes to Fillongley. It's all greenbelt, and I can't think of a single new building that's gone up anywhere on my 7 mile trip into work? I only have to look out of our office window to notice the prolifferation of wildlife (at least locally) I see more variety in species now, and greater numbers of  the common stuff then ever. Hmm thinks, time to apply for a grant as a wildlife sanctuary? 

You don't see as many of any birds around here now. One summer they vanished. The numbers are starting to go up a bit though.

Gulls being the exception. Some days I get woken up by their noise. And we're nowhere near the bloody sea.

Where I live in town we regulary have visits from a fox, hedgehogs, black squirrels, grey squirrels and dozens of different types of bird including BLOODY PIGEONS!
We also have muntjac deer in the school opposite and did have a badger until he lost an argument with a police car.
Still some things we run over do survive:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/04/uk_enl_1097158263/html/1.stm

Archived