If thier was enough intrest and enough of you would come over, ship your cars or buy one here I would be happy to put something like this together.  I would also contact all the local Triumph clubs to join and lend a hand.   I fear the cost and time would make this almost impossible for most of you.  But if your are game so am I.  

I hope you all know that if you are in the States to stop and say hi.  If you wish to buy a car here and need help just send a note.  Will store your car here and take it to Baltimore for shipment.  Have trailor and truck.

I posted the link as some of the "extras" sounded as if they could be a good fit with the 10CR / RBRR concept in the future. It could add a fun competitive side to the rallies and combined with the stricter timing between checks it would reduce the tendency to try and compete on the open road.

Would love to try the US version, but sadly out of my budget.....

While it would be nice for all of you to come see me rather than me you I understand the cost.    I think any Triumph would make for a fun drive, engine's over 2000cc would of course be better. So far I have had no problems with my Heralds going anywhere.   Fuel should not be a problem as most of our stations are open 24/7.  We do have some fun roads.  

Shipping:  You need to ask Pat Barbor about current rates.  When I shipped my Herald Estate over back in 05, 740 pounds from Southampton to Baltimore.  This was a drive on drive off.   Price goes by the size of your car.   I do not know the cost from America to England.  

Come on Jason, we all know you are RICH!  Fired, we can handle that for you.  Lottery?  Remember if you win, I gave you 1/2 the money for the winning ticket.

Some of you might remember Blake Discher, he was the co driver for Pat Barbor in 06 and I think 04.  (put diesel in car and in 06 drowned car in water at the Bligh service)   He runs the ABRR.  I ran that in 07.  I don't know how much interest here as I am not sure if it ran this year.   If you Google ABRR you will find the web sight.  You will also find a link for the 07 run magazine article that has me and my Herald in it.   This might be worth a try for some of you.  While not as long or hard as the RBRR it is fun.   If interested I will get you in touch with Blake.  It runs in September.  Normally between the weekends of the 10CR and the RBRR.

michael_charlton wrote:
Seen the entrants already? They`re all doing the event in sofa`s on wheels...

My friend's description doesn't make it sound like that " As much as you love BIG rallies, check out www.onelapofamerica.com. It is a 3500 mile, 10 race track, rally tour of America, with varying events at each track, My youngest son, Douglas, has entered it the past three years. In his first try he took 1st place in his group and 5th overall in a Mitsubishi. The next year, we was leading both his group and overall and had his engine go out half way through the race. Last year, Doug upgraded and entered with a Porsche GT2 and took 1st place overall and group with his new driver, Leh Keen, who you may have heard of since he also enters numerous races in Europe."

That sounds like some serious hardware even if its not a Triumph!

yeah I got a quote coming from them too, Id take the 2000 to yanky land for a tour something like http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Newark,+NJ,+USA&daddr=San+Francisco,+CA,+United+States+to:Austin,+TX,+United+States+to:Atlanta,+GA,+United+States+to:Newark,+NJ,+United+States&hl=en&geocode=FamTbQIdMTiU-ykdDpoycFPCiTFz5P7cKty84Q%3BFVJmQAIdKAe0-CkhAGkAbZqFgDH_rXbwZxNQSg%3BFRHXzQEdK48s-ikvA8ygmbVEhjF61WnUS0abXQ%3BFQP4AgIdclf4-imNCZNpXQT1iDELYwuZL97-Zg%3BFamTbQIdMTiU-ykdDpoycFPCiTFz5P7cKty84Q&mra=ls&sll=35.97421,-96.20841&sspn=35.343637,78.662109&ie=UTF8&ll=35.960223,-98.261719&spn=35.343637,78.662109&t=h&z=4

Howard wrote:

My friend's description doesn't make it sound like that " As much as you love BIG rallies, check out www.onelapofamerica.com. It is a 3500 mile, 10 race track, rally tour of America, with varying events at each track, My youngest son, Douglas, has entered it the past three years. In his first try he took 1st place in his group and 5th overall in a Mitsubishi. The next year, we was leading both his group and overall and had his engine go out half way through the race. Last year, Doug upgraded and entered with a Porsche GT2 and took 1st place overall and group with his new driver, Leh Keen, who you may have heard of since he also enters numerous races in Europe."

That sounds like some serious hardware even if its not a Triumph!

I `m trying to say there are no bone shaker Triumphs or similar  and the entrants already are fairly modern cars, even though they are `sporty`

• 3 weeks later...

Jason wrote:
Hmmm, that looks like just the event to do when I retire/get fired and/or win the lottery - I think a nice period modified PI would go down well over there, might need a large capacity fuel tank and some nitrous though :-)

Everyone enjoys smuggling in a ringer, but the cars must be street legal.

Even if some domestic entrants who've tweaked over the line are lucky enough not to get pulled over in California by equipment-vigilant CHPs, anyone  bringing a car INTO the US will have that car inspected to be sure it meets Federal regulations for the year it was built.  If not, it stays at the dock.   Emissions regulations are why your TRs got PI and ours stayed carburetted.

When I imported my 65 Herald Estate, I had no problem with customs as to what the car needed or did not need.  I assume their is a age where these things do not matter.  Their was no inspection done by customs.  I did fill out a form.  Maryland has no issue with imports over 25 years and are exsempt form any and all emissions, safty, glass or crash data.   Simple form to fill out and they registered and gave me tags.  I will not speak of Calf and thier unliveable laws or NJ.  Maryland does not inspect cars over 25 that are registered Classic, Historic or Street Rod.

I assume their was some sort of lookover to be sure no drugs, meat or plant life was in the car.  If I remember inport fee to customs was $75.oo.  Maryland fees the same as if it was built here.

I still display the orignal English plates and keep my current Maryland tags in with the spare tire.  Local police have no problem with the English plates.

It's an inspection for federal regulations at the dock, Goody!
Even though altering federally-mandated equipment is illegal, most states don't check it on the road or at state inspection offices.

The emissions regs started at the 1968 model year.
Your '65 was just freight to the feds.  But after 1968, it has to meet federal regulations & they'll get out the book.

Archived