Charity or just fun?

Ben Hutchings

Well to be quite honest I asked because I just want to do the event, and not have to worry about the charity side. It seems to me that theres enough to do in car prep etc without having to collect money and talk me mates into sponsoring etc, but yes I can see that its good to do it for at least one major event.

Just to echo Tim's comments - yep, the official line is it's not a "Club" charitable event, but there's nothing stopping you doing it yourself...  We did talk about it, but as Tim said, we felt if people start asking for sponsor funds every year, it may reduce the superb amounts we raise on the RBRR, hence the decision to keep it non-charitiable... leave more space on the side of the car for a bigger sticker as well !!!  Don't worry sidescreen drivers, the stickers won't be as big as last time !! ::)

At least he didn't start waving a flipping machine gun at you like we had in Italy. It did take all my strength and willpower not to crack a joke. We just kept smiling for the 30-40 minutes it took them to check our passports through the system.  ;D

Well, the bored Austrian borderguard did see the stickers. After which he asked "Ist dass ein Rennwagen?". When I told him it was not he didn't believe me and promptly started measuring the thread that was left on my Yoko's. At which point Roger slipped out off the car to have a pee to prevent wetting himself whilst laughing in the face off the poor man  ;D

we raised a few hundred quid for the starlight foundation and the Chesterfield Royal Hospital Special Care Baby Unit. But that was just to justify the trip to other people  ;D

'Your going to drive 2500 miles round europe in five days? What the bloody hell for!?!'

'Charity'

'oh........'

;D

The 10cr  is my holiday for the year so i don't feel i have to justify it to anyone , but you can overdo the  charity thing ..when i ask people to sponsor me for the RBRR they nearly always say  ''haven't we just done that'' and are quite surprised to find out it was two years ago,so i don't think i could get much out of them if i did something for charity every year

Archived