Personal Preparedness

SteveJP

OK - now getting to the point of deciding the important issue of clothing - bearing in mind I'm in a Spitfire, not a GT6 greenhouse - hot days I can cope with, shorts, T-shirt, sandals etc, but the mountain passes are a bit of an unknown, so I assume the following will cover all eventualities:
Leather jacket
Fleece
Kagoul + woolley hat (bobble free!)

Any other suggestions?

Some sort of waterproof coat is always good, I take a thin waterproof, a fleece and a selection of T shirts & shorts together with some underwear and a personal wash kit and that's about it. You'll smell like a badger set anyway and no one but fellow 10R entrants will come near and they will smell the same.
If you're in a soft top, take a peaked hat - good for sun protection, if you're in a GT6 take a bucket of stones and a ladle :-)

Layer up my friend, layer up! (or down as weather / temperature demands). Deffo take some high factor sun block if you are open top, even at sea level the sun can be strong but in the mountains its effects are very soon multiplied.
Something like a good scarf or a buff to stop the cold air getting at your neck is good as well (especially if it is your turn to try and grab some kip). Echo Jason on the light waterproof and fleece route. (The light waterproof and fleece route is generally the night stage heading North)  

Pah! Then I guess you're stuck with a, 'Auto' swamp cooler:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/270791171_39a2000acc_m.jpg

(possibly the co-driver can hold it in the air and keep topping it up with water/coolant)

Easy to make, very simple principle. Only lowers your MPG by about 10!

OK - now we're getting down to the nitty-gritty! How much food should we take? - I'm rightly/wrongly assuming we will be able to get sustenance at petrol stops of one sort of another, but do have half a dozen sausage rolls (messy in the car!) and a Yorkshire tea loaf with plenty of water, coffee and bovril! - getting really sad now, I timed the electric kettle last night - 15 minutes to get a brew going! OH yes, and I've packed tin foil to wrap the sausage rolls in on the manifold - we'll be cooking them 'a la Clarkson!

LOL - food is garage cuisine for us although I'm sure the wife will make me some nice bread rolls etc. The only things I'm taking this year are some apples, maybe some cereal bars/biscuits and lots of bottles of water. Service station food is just as crap over there as it is here and it brings on farting of epic proportions in me, so I'll be eating lots of it :-)

I'm taking fruit... lots of fruit to keep that healthy feeling that gets lost as soon as one steps in a motorway services!

Tempted to take a flask too, on last test (also sad) water stayed hot enough for a tasty tea for 18 hours.. so that should get us from thurs lunchtime to halfway through friday night.

Archived