Just been looking over the numbers.

Car 41 did 1794 miles "on route" between Enfield and Rolduc, plus another 576 to make it "door to door".  2370 total.

In that time it used no water at all and about 1.5 litres of oil.  The latter being a hearty recommendation for Wynns!
Total of 248 litres of fuel used "on route" giving an average of 32.8 mpg.  I have no idea what it all cost and have no intention of working it out!
Best tankful was 38.1mpg, filled up after coming down from the Timmelsjoch, then downhill all the way to the motorway and fairly slowly through those tunnels (and past all the cops!).
Worst tankful was 22.47 mpg.  A worst ever (since injection) in fact.  That one involved the first part of Saturdays mileage with multiple passes, a monster traffic jam, then Jaufen and Timmelsjoch.
Second worst tankful was 24.64 mpg (also a record low, bar the above).  That one also involved many passes including Stelvio.

The low figures reflect both the extremity of the roads and the joy we experienced attacking them  ;D. The old dear really took some stick and, as usual, just shrugged it off.

The only "issues" were a slighty squashy brake pedal on a couple of occasions during long descents and the need to wind up the idle speed a bit for the high altitude.  Oh, and the hood leaked vigorously in all sorts of places during  Sunday afternoons little drenching..... that was BIG rain that was  :o

We mostly followed the route apart from a couple of sat nav induced deviations.  We missed the pass in the Vosges mountains on Thursday night and went through a very long tunnel instead - which was probably a good thing judging by the tales of others.  It did mean we got to the rest stop first though, which came as a bit of a surprise, especially as the car park barrier was down and apparently locked..... turned out just to be wedged with a piece of wood though and was soon sorted.  The other diversion saw us missing out the Brunig and Grimsel passes early on Friday morning, though we did go up the east side of the Furka (best side  :)) and back down the same way.  The car and I have done the Grimsel twice before (1993 and 2009) so didn't regret that too much.

Excellent trip..... put me down for the next  :) :) :)

Nick

My satnav recorded 1805 miles from Calais, back to Calais which was 7% greater than the odometer on the Stag confirming that I do in fact have a 3.45 diff, not a 3.7 as standard.

Total spend on fuel was �517 and an average consumption over the trip including the run up to the Plough from Maidstone and return to Dover for the crossing was 27.6 mpg. Not bad for an auto Stag, but we did try to keep our autobahn running 60-65mph to try to economise a bit, and those long runs down the passes with little engine braking obviously helped! I haven't filled the car up yet so can't assess the final fuel consumption leg from Brussels to Maidstone, although I suspect it will drag down the overall a bit as we didn't hang around once we hit Blighty.

No oil used, no power steering or auto box oil needed and a half litre of coolant dissapeared, partly due to me opening the expansion bottle cap at the wrong time! Even the windscreen washer bottle is nearly full!

Just checked the Sat Nav figures from - Maidstone - Enfield- Dover - Europe - Maidstone

Total Mileage 2055
Moving Time: 52 Hours
Total Hours including control stops, petrol breaks etc: 66 Hours - not incl o/night hotel stops but incl ferry crossings
Moving Average Speed: 39.5 mph
Max Speed: 82mph
Overall average speed: 30mph!

No wonder I got 27.5mpg from the Stag! ;D ;D ;D

Of course there are a few miles missing from when the Sat Nav signal was missing in some of the long tunnels.

Figures for #45 (1147 Spit) are as follows:

Used no water
1ltr of oil (halfords 20/50)
Averaged about 35mpg as we think we did about 2250miles door to door (live in Malvern) but forgot to note the initial odometer reading.

Absolutely no reliability issues other than the hood trying to peel off when doing 70+ into a 30+ headwind.....fixed it by sealing the leading edge with Gaffer tape!

Biggest bug bear was madam in the sat nav insisting we turn sharp right when negotiating sharp left hairpins and vice versa and then shutting down completely in the middle of a rather tense intersection in Germany!

Roll on the next one!!!!!!!

We used about a pint of oil, no water (at least not in the radiator) but 10mm of brake fluid and lots of brake pad material!
I think we did about 2060 miles (Cambridge > Europe and back again) and averaged about 30mpg which I am very pleased with! MPG is all over the place from <20MPG to > 40MPG I guess that reflects the up and down bits of the route.
Fuel costs seemed to vary depending where we were but I guess we spent overall about £550 on fuel. All of the fuel costs went on the CC  so will find out next month :(

Sat nav (tomtom 720) was great but needs a new battery, road book and large scale maps I bought of the alps were very useful, at least we had some idea of where we were...

Low points, all the motor bikes zooming up and down the hairpins. I started to worry about when, not if, we would be hit by them... but I guess its even more exciting on a bike than a car...

Mike and Libby

Archived