Thanks for Track days

trackerjack

This has been our first year with CT and Diane and I would like to thank all those responsible for organising and informing on the two events (Mallory in April/Castle Combe in Sept).
Fred Slezak and Tim Bankcroft plus Martin Randle. (and any who we are not aware of)

It has enabled us to meet and get to know many of you  who appear on the forum and club mag.

Tims generous donation of loads of duck tape to try and stop my Sprint sunroof flying off!

So we would like to say a big THANKYOU for your efforts, hats off to you all.

Cheers for that :)

I know everyone involved will appreciate your sentiments.

I personally haven't been part of the trackday scene but I am extremely pleased with the fact that 4 years ago competition or "active" use of our cars within the club was minimal but just look now, over 100 names in the driver's championship :D

That's so many people who are enjoying their cars in a new way for many of them 8)

Jon,

Fred does not visit this forum much, but I will convey your thanks to her.

I think I have mentioned elsewhere that she is meeting the MGoT people soon and will have some dates for next year soon. I wish there were more Triumph folk interested in these days.

Its ironic that you thanked Martin, he is always telling me that track days, racing and the like are not for him, he is a rally man!

Ah rally men those who like to look out of the side windows instead of the windscreen!
It frightens them if their car is not sliding.
In truth I did not know how much he was involved, but I do now.
Dont they have tarmac on special stages?
One of the big questions is "who is better a top rally driver or a top track driver"

Quote:
One of the big questions is "who is better a top rally driver or a top track driver"

Oh now then - that's a can of worms.

In the old days when there were real rallies - no namby pamby recceing with pace notes etc rally drivers always held my respect simply for the fact that they didn't know what was coming next.

One quote from Timo Makinen I think was along the lines of "you can always go through corners faster than you think so think of a speed you are comfoprtable with and add some more" :o  Of course when he crashed it wasn't his car.

Racing driver's have  different problems and I am sure there is satisfaction in learning the circuits etc and honing your skills but give me the heartstopping moments when you go over a crest and discover a wall/90 left etc the other side of it :o

Within the club we have some fine drivers but how to determine the best?  If we are talking rallies this year it's Ellis Stokes, PCAs Doug Foreman and races Mik Davies.

I really like the precision that is involved when driving on a track.
I was always impressed when reading about famous drivers such as Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss and of course Jim Clark and reading that their tyre and brake wear would be neglible in comparison with other drivers. One of the reasons Stewart was so fast was because he was so smooth- I find this fascinating.
Also of course anyone who could drive the balls off a car with loads of power round the Nurburgring has got to be respected.

With regards to rally drivers, I admire anyone who can drive a car sideways round a sweeping alpine bend with nothing but a deep gorge to one side- however I always think this is part bravery and maybe a touch of daftness.
I really like the sixties rally scene and when reading about the big Healey drivers such as Makinen, Aaltonen etc., one is left with the impression that they had to grab the car by the scruff of its neck and drive it really hard, wheras with a Mini I suppose it was all about precision.
Of course I imagine driving one of the old Group B cars at speeds over 100mph through forest stages would be fun and a real case of having taken a few bravery pills.

I reckon driving a car fast has gotta be one of the best thing one can do, and it does'nt matter what type of event it is.

I'd love to see Martin at a Track day in his TR7, I know he would love it.

It's all about precision - race or rally special stage.

I think you need as many bravery pills piloting a 60's F1 car around the 'ring with fuel cells sitting either side of you as you do driving a rally car with big static trees either side of you.

At least the trees don't have human pilots - also carrying large amounts of flammable liquid around in them.

No reason why you can't take a rally car on a track - every reason why you can't take a race/road car on a rally special stage.

I'd just like to re-iterate Jon's sentiments, and also thank all concerned.
I'm still miffed at not making it to the Mallory day; but, I had an absolute blast at Castle Combe, which, was probably the best track day that I've been to, yet, in that at no time did I feel 'bullied' by any of the other drivers in faster cars, and no-one did anything silly, like diving up the inside in corners and pushing you off-line (a not uncommon occurence during 'all comers' track days >:() So, top marks to the organisers, and to the courtesy of the other drivers.
Looking forward to next years events, and I'll be doing my damnedest to get to as many as possible, and, with a bit of luck (and plenty of late nights in the garage ::)); I'll be giving my latest project some 'stick' out on the circuits 8).

Personally I see them as two completely different skills, although I imagine that it would be easier for a rally driver to adjust to a track than the other way round.

As far as rallying is concerned I love watching the Groupe B cars like the Quattro Sport S1, Lancia 034 etc, can't beat them for shear spectacle.

As for track cars I don't care much for single seaters, I much prefer watching vintage cars, classics, salloons etc as I can compare the base car to something I have driven and undrestand what it'd be like to drive.

Archived