cylinder head(ache!)

animator

If you're sure all the studs are undone then try using a heavy hammer and a block of wood. If that fails put the spark plugs back in and try turning the engine over on the key. There's not much else you can do beyond this but DON'T try to force anything between the head and block.

Another possibility is to remove the studs using the 'double nut' method and that might allow a bit more give. If you can't get the studs to undo then it's possible they've corroded to the head and explain why you can't get it off! If this happens you will need plenty of releasing oil and a lot of patience.

Quoted from Steve_Curton ...There's not much else you can do beyond this but DON'T try to force anything between the head and block.
True for the most part -- I certainly would NOT use a screwdriver or chisel, but what about wood shims?

I used to own taxis (FX4's) famous for the cylinder head sticking on the old 2.5Ltr. I picked a tip up from a mechanic that worked every time, it was to place a small bottle jack between the engine mounting & the head and apply gentle but increasing pressure, a few whacks with a rubber mallet sometimes helped to release it if it was really reluctant. I remember his old man hoisting the front end of a taxi completly off the ground attached only to the head, he left it overnight expecting to find the head loosened in the morning, instead he found the engine mountings ripped off.
Cheers,
Dave.

Cylinder head siezed on studs MAGNIFICENT FUN !
Think yourself lucky it is on a car with great engine access.

Wanna try sorting this on a truck ?

Worst one I ever did was on a TK Bedford. Cab's dont lift, horrible engine access. Got head lifted eventually (millimeters, refused completly to move further) this after mucho hard graft and mucho crudeity.
Had to cut offending stud's with a hacksaw blade. Repeat BLADE not  a hacksaw.

Have fun !

Archived