Excellent Triumph Herald 1200 Example

Jason C

Hi all,

Come across this beautifully restored 1965 Triumph Herald 1200 for sale in New Zealand. No connection to the owner or seller, simply admired the quality presentation. 

https://bains.co.nz/product/1965-triumph-herald/

Curious, I have a 1968 Vitesse where the front grill is attached to the bonnet itself, this example shows brackets connecting the grill to the radiator assembly. Which is correct?

Enjoy

Jason

Quoted from Jason C-

Curious, I have a 1968 Vitesse where the front grill is attached to the bonnet itself, this example shows brackets connecting the grill to the radiator assembly. Which is correct?

Both are correct.

The early style Heralds (948, 1200 and 12/50) had the grill fixed to the chassis and radiator assembly. The Vitesse and 13/60 had the grill fixed to the bonnet.

Quoted from RobPearce-
Quoted from Jason C-

Both are correct.

The early style Heralds (948, 1200 and 12/50) had the grill fixed to the chassis and radiator assembly. The Vitesse and 13/60 had the grill fixed to the bonnet.

Thanks for the information Rob! By chance are there any resources (manuals?) that detail the Vitesse? Sometimes it’s tricky for a novice knowing how something should be as original. I’ve found photographs online useful, but often wonder if its period correct.

Quoted from RobPearce-
Quoted from Jason C-

Both are correct.

Thanks for the information Rob! By chance are there any resources (manuals?) that detail the Vitesse? Sometimes it’s tricky for a novice knowing how something should be as original. I’ve found photographs online useful, but often wonder if its period correct.

The official Stanpart / BL workshop manuals (available as reprints) are usually accurate, although occasionally they show photographs of pre-launch development vehicles with wrong bits. Club Torque has a regular series of "Motors of Moment" articles, with reprints of period reviews and the like. There's probably some "guide to originality" books, or the Practical Classics restoration guides, but I don't have any to check.

If there's something specific that's not clear to you, it's worth asking on here (or the FB page, or other forums) and somebody knowledgeable will probably answer.

Quoted from RobPearce-

The official Stanpart / BL workshop manuals (available as reprints) are usually accurate, although occasionally they show photographs of pre-launch development vehicles with wrong bits. Club Torque has a regular series of "Motors of Moment" articles, with reprints of period reviews and the like. There's probably some "guide to originality" books, or the Practical Classics restoration guides, but I don't have any to check.

If there's something specific that's not clear to you, it's worth asking on here (or the FB page, or other forums) and somebody knowledgeable will probably answer.

Thanks Rob, appreciate your help. 

Quoted from glang-

That is nice! I bet the fixing of the grill like that was because of the enormous overriders used on the earlier Heralds...

You know the original workshop manuals for the Vitesse and other Triumphs are available free online Jason? 

Hi glang! Thanks for the tip, will source a few manuals online. :)