MOT..new regs, anyone seen them?

Velocita Rosso

If it fails it should not be on the road anyway so the only change is that you have a piece of paper telling you that you must not use it. I don't have a problem with that.

For cars over 40 years they don't require an MOT but if you continue to have it tested (as I will with my 7) & it fails I assume that it will be subject to the same rules.

Cheers

Howard

What the intimation is, or fact, that if you now take a car for MOT ,and also if in advance of the expiry, that if it fails you are illegal even if there is a few weeks left on the ticket.....and should not be moved thereafter

So in other words you have to leave the car at the garage for any feasible repairs

The DVlA/VOSA are advised of the failure....even with any weeks left on the ticket....and therefore your insurance would be affected if you moved it ....in other words void  

Imagine if there were numerous failures.....and queues at the repair shop

Quoted from thescrapman-

From what I read, I believe Mike is right.

So what you need to do is a "pre-MOT" at your MOT test station, and that will identify any work that may need doing, you then do the work and return for the real thing.

...and there we go again.....a further cost to be born....it never ends...however if all the classics are over 40 years old .....😉 

Think I`l buy a train season ticket

Quoted from thescrapman-

View what?

I did read a few weeks ago that Main thing to note is get your car MOT the day before it expires now rather than wel n advance as no longer allowed to use a car after a failure

It's always been a grey area...  Unless they actually change the "online status" immediately following a fail I don't think it makes much practical difference.

Judging by "not working lights" poll, about 25% of cars on the road are MoT fails anyway.

Biggest concern is how it will be used by the unscrupulous to pressurise the average punter. £££££££££££££££!  Smell lobbying.....?

Nick

It still comes back to the basic fact that the MOT is a safety inspection and if its not capable of passing the MOT it is not legal on the road irrespective of having an MOT! This has not changed - the only change is that if there is a dangerous fault found it is illegal to use it before it is repaired.

I see this as something positive and not a cause for concern.

This is the list of possible failures & only if its dangerous are you banned from driving it away

Dangerous A direct and immediate risk to road safety or has a serious impact on the environment.

Do not drive the vehicle until it’s been repaired.
Fail
Major It may affect the vehicle’s safety, put other road users at risk or have an impact on the environment.

Repair it immediately.
Fail
Minor No significant effect on the safety of the vehicle or impact on the environment.

Repair as soon as possible.
Pass

I sincerely hope that none of our CT members are driving Dangerous vehicles on the public highway!

Quoted from Alex-

But what constitutes a bad oil leak.... we drive triumphs!

A lot more than the usual drips that come from our cars - if I recall correctly it has to form a significant puddle beneath the car during the test to fail

Quoted from Howard-

"For cars over 40 years they don't require an MOT but if you continue to have it tested (as I will with my 7) & it fails I assume that it will be subject to the same rules."

I took my Vitesse to my local friendly garage for annual service and MoT last week and  it passed the latter with flying colours.  When I collected the car I had a chat with the tester about the new MoT arrangements from 20th May.

He told me that in future I could submit the car for a voluntary MoT if I wished.  I asked him what would be the position if it failed.  He replied that as the test was voluntary it would have no legal meaning and the car could remain on the road!!!!

That being the case I shall continue to have him service it every year and request that he gives it a "pre-MoT inspection" as he does so.  After all, why pay the MoT fee from which a garage doesn't really earn much - far better pay the garage a fair labour charge and help keep him in business.

But there is a problem.

If the car fails because (for example) the tyres are below the legal minimum, you really do not want to use the car on the road until it is sorted. And once you know there is a fault, it needs fixing. So the only thing you are protected against is the offence of driving a car with no MoT.

What worries me is the number of cars that fail MoT's on obvious stuff like tyres. What will happen if these people don't have to get the vehicle MoT'd? Because they are the very ones who will be so glad that their "pride and joy" no longer needs testing for insignificant twaddle like brakes working correctly, or rusty seat belt mountings and so on.

Clive

I agree wholeheartedly with you & would have preferred the MOT test to remain mandatory for all vehicles made since the 1960's i.e anything that is likely to be driven regularly at normal traffic speeds.

Cheers

Howard

Quite. IMO there was nothing really wrong with the MOT regime before they started dicking around with it, except I would have had cars subject to a yearly MOT from new - a lot can go wrong in 3 years. Some places may have had an issue with younger testers applying the wrong standards to oldies, but that's an issue to be resolved with training and education rather than a vague system of exemptions.

Here I go digging up the new 40 year exemption. You guys on the mainland are lucky You know exactly where you stand with the new exemptions. Here in Northern Ireland we have no idea whether the 40 year exemption will happen here or not. All mot over here we are examined by government agency (No garage repair agendas). There is much speculation going about re this some saying the 40 year will not come in here due to our non sitting assembly means it cannot be signed off on. The NI car club association over here The AOVC Have on their web site that the exemption will not happen here and that CARS COMING IN FROM THE MAINLAND MUST GET AN MOT IMMEDIATLY ! Personally I feel both those statements to be pure nonsense. Fact is we already have the pre 1960 rule so really it is nothing more than a date change, not a change in the legislation. Mot website is equally unclear if in fact it will happen in Northern Ireland, Yet we are UK registered also through Swansea. Mainland mot's apply here also NI mot's apply on the mainland. Our Mot inspectors even Swansea are speculating on this issue also our police the PSNI. Bottom line is NOBODY HERE KNOWS.

We shall just have to wait till the 20'th

Laurence

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-

Imagine if there were numerous failures.....and queues at the repair shop

Imagine that!! Imagine too if someone was driving a car with numerous failures on it, having cut corners as they were too lazy to wait for a repair slot in a garage. I for one wouldn't want them on the road, certainly not the same road as my family uses. Either drive safely, maintain your car, or get it off the road.

• 1 year later...

MOT Exemptions - not usually a fan of this opportunity as I believe that it's good practice to have a regular safety check - however when exploring my options to re tax my Spitfire MKIV I was invited to claim exemption.
As I'm sure there'll be a massive backlog of MOT's for peoples daily drivers I've claimed exemption for the moment. In the circumstances it seemed the publically spirited thing to do.