Hi all, sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam before, but do y'all keep in contact during the RBRR? I suppose in this day of mobiles and wifi theres no need but 'back in the day' i used to be a bit of a country boy CB user type fellow. And I wondered if any of the crews will be using 27Mhz for the run? seems like a cheap (free *cough*) simple method of stayingin contact especially if someone gets lost in some scottish mountain and fears for his haggis!

I've always found any sort of verbal communication in a Triumph is useless, make that between two speeding Triumphs and over a radio and you have a recipe for frustration - mobile phone text between non-driving crew is probably the best comms I've experienced but if you can make radios work do it :-)

• 5 months later...

Phones are good, CB is okay as well if you are travelling in company with someone else.  We put CBs into our cars for going to the LMC and they were a good aid.  Found it better to wire in a bigger speaker though.  The other thing to be aware of is that it is illegal for the driver to use a mobile phone but NOT illegal to use 2 way radio.  You could still be done for without due care/dangerous driving though.

Don't expect the range to be more than a few miles though.
We got a set and antenna for about £65 each from Yeomans electrical, they have an ebay shop.

I get the idea that Tim is not keen on the CB radio idea! I think it sounds like a laugh, and will go well with my musicall airhorns ;)

They won't outlaw the use of 2-way radios, because the emergency services and the police use them (I don't classify the police as emergency services, because they don't treat emergencies as such, and are more interested in stopping motorists, etc, etc, etc...)

Not really bothered what people use to stay in touch, more important that they do- especially if they are in trouble. We hope to have a RBRR central Control operating whilst the run is happening. The details of this will be given in the final instructions issued at the start.

The best method must be to get the co-driver to text- its simple.

Obviously we do not condone the use of phones whilst driving, also I would have thought the Police will come down on anyone who is caught using a CB radio whilst driving.

Agree with the passenger texting method - simple, safer and presumeably effective 'cos every crew will have a mobile phone (I guess). The only downside that I could see is the problems of network coverage in the Land 'o the Jaggy Thistle.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit off topic but....

I work in Telematics and am hoping to add a fleet tracker to Phils car, this will record the whole route, starts, stops, total mileage covered, driving time, idling time, when you fart etc etc, also get live GPS info on where we are for family sat at home!

I obviously need to speak to my client on this and get clearance from them, but being a charitable event i cant see a problem...........

Archived