Thought it might be useful / of interest to find out how much people are paying into the government's coffers at the moment in different parts of the country, and to try to work out just how much the RBRR is likely to cost in terms of fuel. Or maybe that's just me  :-/

Anyway, here in sunny Redditch unleaded's currently 86.9 , and the high octane stuff's about 91.9

Is that good, bad or indifferent? Can anyone do better? Does anyone care??? ;)

[quote by=GTRoger link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1158940289,s=13 date=1159369777]What about availability of 98RON?? Last summer we noticed that lots of petrol stations in the UK only sell the 95 stuff. Do I need to bring some octanebooster?? [/quote]

Down here in the South West most of the big name station chains like BP, Shell & Esso are selling 97 or even 99 octane. Many of the supermarket linked filling stations are selling 97 octane. There is a independant garage up the road from me on the A303 that sells genuine 4 star leaded petrol (about £1.25 a litre last time I looked!).

I think the only areas that you might find only 95 octane are the really remote places in Scotland & Wales, so maybe some booster would be a good idea.

Incidentally, down here 95 RON is around 89.9 per litre, & 97 RON is around 98.9 per litre, at the moment. The oil price seems to have firmed at around $60 a barrel at present so maybe not much more scope for price cuts yet.

Interesting stuff, Mr Sideways.
I've noticed over here that the Shell 15% ethanol blend is 100RON ... although i've only seen it once!

I've just been reading an article about the Australian fuel price rises that coincide with public holiday weekends ... there's a big debate about whether it's a fix or whether it's coincidence - do prices change with holiday weekends in the UK? I can't remember noticing it  ??)

Incidentally, the cause for high diesel prices is also connected to the production costs of the fuel itself.

Just a few years back, diesel was a bit of a fringe fuel for normal consumers- the use of it was relatively marginal compared to petrol and was a bit cheaper. Now that many people are looking for executive diesel saloons, and the like, to give them high mileage and better residuals, the price has gone up.

The oil companies just weren't expecting diesel use to grow in the exponential manner that it has, and that means that refineries were only geared up to producing fairly low volumes, possibly 'cracking' the rest to produce other hydrocarbons. The need for investment in new diesel refining facilities has therefore led to a boost in prices in order to pay for the expansion. Remember also that a market sense, diesel literally goes further than petrol mile for mile and, meaning that as a 'main product' (as diesel now is) the prices have to be more reflective of the need for forecourt upkeep etc whereas in the past, petrol sales would have covered it.

On the up side, the need for brand new facilities has also seen diesel develop probably more rapidly than petrol in terms of the product itself.

Basically Mr. Rumpith, it is people like your good self seeing the advantages of diesel who have pushed prices up. When looking at the relative costs though, you have to factor in increased fuel economy and engine longevity, as well as increased residual vehicle values and lower company car/ road tax.

On a slightly different note, I see from the RBRR route and checking 24 hour petrol stations in  north Scotland the only one open is in Dingwall. so may have to use on the way up and down... Unless of course someone knows better. Over to you. Malc.

Archived