• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The route has more or less been recce'd, completed the last parts last night-did about 575miles in all, this time with Nigel driving and me recording the info.

Where did we go?

Dartmoor and Wales.

New stop (hopefully) in Dartmoor and an extra bit in Wales-nice flowing road-with a nice stretch of dual carriageway before Monmouth-no worries the Forest of Dean part is still part of the route!

Nigel has just got to do the Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Hertfordshire section and the route revisions will have been fully recorded.

Next job is for Nige to convert into his great excel listing and then for me to contact all the County MSA Route Liaision Officers.

I see I have just over 200 days to finish the project, umm!

thescrapman wrote:

Did we go into Wales last time???

:-/

That was a cracking 8 hours kip I got last time....  ;D

Colin

I too got some great sleep through Wales.

I remember sort of waking up at the Oswestry stop and sort of waving at Binman who was peering in the back window of the Acclaim.

Later on, I was woken up rather abruptly by Vinnie throwing the car around some rather twisty roads whilst trying (and failing) to get past a TR7V8 - aparently he had already overtaken several other large Triumphs but couldn't quite get past the TR7V8.

[quote=timbancroft61

I see I have just over 200 days to finish the project, umm! [/quote]

Comes round a bit quick eh? At least I've only got to get the car prepped/fixed.
Any ideas where we're going to go across from pimperne to oxford way?
I appreciate this is quite closely guarded at this time but thought I'd ask all the same,the guy I got the saloon from fancy watching us pass if its in our area.
Cheers Alex

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found some very interesting roads in Wales that I am attempting to get Nigel to intergrate into the route-bit daft really as we have been to Wales and recce'd the parts that we will use. Designing the route is a big job and Nige really does not need me to make more work!

Most of the route has been finalised, now just subject to MSA approval.

I got a splendid book for my birthday - "Classic Motorsport Routes - 30 legendary roads you can drive today".  I'm going to!  It includes the Jim Clarke Memorial Rally, the only UK rally held on closed public roads.

I'd heard of the Jim Clark, but not a lot.   I think it varies the route each year, but ALWAYS includes the Langton Stage, a short ?2 miles, that includes the Langton watersplash http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-MCdP6P1k alleged by Tony Mason to be the 'best corner in world rallying'! http://www.gavinton.net/old/jim_clark_memorial_rally.htm

Would that be a good way for the RBRR to go, one day?

John

Archived