The benefits of using the M25 are:
1. Ability to get back from Surrey/Sussex quickly.
2. One does not have to think about the route, you just get on it at J10 and get off it at J24.

My problem is that I use the road everyday and tend to think of the benefits that the M25 brings to driving around London and the home counties. I remember what it was like before it driving around the London before it was built, a good word would be pants! I have just been given a copy of the 1978 RBRR roadbook and the route from the M3 (Last stop used to be Fleet services on the M3) was interesting: Crews would go to the end of the M3, drive up the A316 to Twickenham, dive up past Kew Gardens and cross Kew Bridge, then up Hangar Lane and the infamous Hangar Lane gyratory system. Then onto the North Circular and off this road at Henleys Corner onto the A111 up to the finish at Cockfosters! One word for this: Hell!

Nigel and me are meeting this weekend to discuss the route and the parts we need to change and recce. The M25 section will be reduced as we will be changing the route after Pimperne.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve,

Our plans are to go around the M25, not inside it. Inside would be horrendous, I know I live there!
The roads we have in mind are good, the scenery is not as spectacular as that around West Sussex, but ok all the same. This change will free up some time, we therefore might extend the Welsh section, this would of course mean a later brekkie at LE though.
Nigel has a very difficult job with the routing for the RBRR, we always like to change parts each time as we feel we can improve the event, however these changes can have such a knock on effect. However some sections such as the Friday night A1 section are not changed as these enable us all to get away from London quite quickly. Sometimes the fast but boring Motorways and dual c/way A roads are very useful for getting mileage done (Sorry to state the bleeding obvious).
One of the best aspects of the RBRR has always been the way that the route is planned to enable breakfasts to be had at JOG and LE at breakfast time (Not as easy as this sounds) - good work by one the RBRR founder, Les Mills.

One thing that has pleased me is that alot of crews now really enjoy the Welsh section, people used to always rave about the Scottish parts, but I think many enjoy the welsh bits as much. My favourite part is the A468 through the Forest of Dean, great road

The route aspect of the RBRR is one of the best parts of the organisation of the RBRR!

Tim, All,
Would it be an irredeemable heresy to suggest doing the RBRR the other way around?

Start toward the SouthWest, and finish by coming down the A1.   Better access to the finish, when all are tired and getting the tiniest bit fed up (that it is nearly over)?

John

timbancroft61 wrote:
I have just been given a copy of the 1978 RBRR roadbook and the route from the M3 (Last stop used to be Fleet services on the M3) was interesting: Crews would go to the end of the M3, drive up the A316 to Twickenham, dive up past Kew Gardens and cross Kew Bridge, then up Hangar Lane and the infamous Hangar Lane gyratory system. Then onto the North Circular and off this road at Henleys Corner onto the A111 up to the finish at Cockfosters! One word for this: Hell!

But would it have been hell in 1978???

No Sunday opening for shops for a start.

Half the number of cars on the road maybe??

Is there anyone here that can remembr that far back???

We tried the 'Straight Across' route last year as we knew teh M25 was parked up. Utter nightmare!

Cheers

Colin

To go the other way would not work as it would mean delaying the event until a start time of 00.00 to ensure that we got to LE for 09.00 on the Sat morn for brekkie. this would therefore mean a finish at 00.00 on Monday morning- would'nt be able to use the pub for a start.

I cannot see that anyone would like this, also think about the tradition of the RBRR: 42 years etc.

Anyrate this action is unnecessary as we are taking measures to reduce the M25 content. Also coming down the A1 on a Sunday afternoon/evening is hell.

Sorry John, but its a non-starter.

Scrapman. I was one that had to endure outer London without the M25. Living in Harrow ( North London ) at the time. NIGHTMARE. Did you know there was a"race"between the last two sections to complete the M25. The group that suceeded then had the envious task of being the first to go round the whole route. See we don`t change much. Malc.

Bugger, just missed a documentary narrated by James May on Radio 4 about the unofficial road races the yuppies had on the m25 when it first opened.  

Was all set up to listen then got called out on a job, just got back into the office as it finished - doh!

Anyone hear it?  Was it any good?

MikeyB wrote:
Bugger, just missed a documentary narrated by James May on Radio 4 about the unofficial road races the yuppies had on the m25 when it first opened.  

Was all set up to listen then got called out on a job, just got back into the office as it finished - doh!

Anyone hear it?  Was it any good?

it is availablr via listen again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/

Cheers

Colin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If any of the organisers wanted advice on making the route through Cumbria more interesting than just the M6 I'd be happy to advise.

I'll concede that anything other than M6 will be slower, but not necessarily very much so if fuel stops etc are considered.

It might just add a bit of a change to the Motorway and help in keeping folks feeling focused.

As I recall last time the stretch from the Sausage Roll (Stiirling) stop to the Shower  (Lancaster) stop was the worst. It was dark and I was knackered. At least being on the M6 meant Barry could sleep and I didn't need to think about navigating. But you do have a point about increasing interest.

Let's not forget the balance of roads here - we need to have a mix and we need to make certain key points within specific times, ie the start, JoG and Lands End for meal stops - there's actually not THAT much choice without major revisions - the route is, afterall, only advisory between controls. As long as you make the controls within the correct time slot the route you take is "free" :-)

I think we have found a fantastic alternative to the Corbridge stop, it even has a webcam, maybe possible to get some snaps of this place loaded up with Triumphs.

We have now recce'd the Northern section and will be going to Wales in January.

Cornwall and the route back will be done in Feb.

Had a weird moment whilst in Northumberland, we went to Derwent water to see if we could find a suitable stop, nothing as no big car park etc. However whilst driving along a minor road, I did get a sudden view of the dam from the water side and blimey I half expected to see a Lancaster come along and drop its bouncer, either that or see a german soldier on duty, take of his coat and attempt to 'save' the bombs a la carling. What a fantastic place!

By the way the A68 from Corbrdidge to Edinburgh is 'chock a block' with speed cameras!

Neil,

As Caroline quite rightly states, the M6 is used to get cars from Scotland to Wales as quickly as poss. Andy Pearce (AJP) has previously informed me of some great roads in the Cumbria/Lake District area. We may well go for a little section, one that appeals is the following:
M6 J40 take the A592 along Ullswater all the way to Windermere, just after that town get onto the A5074 until hitting the A590 and drive alongg this dual C/way till hitting the M6 at j36. Not too bad eh!

We have a nice little section in Cornwall planned, however this is subject to driving it in Feb. when down there.

No RBRR has followed the same route for the last 5 or 6 events.

timbancroft61 wrote:
By the way the A68 from Corbrdidge to Edinburgh is 'chock a block' with speed cameras!

Most, if not all of them are over the border in Scotlandshire, and at least two of them do not register on the Road Angel / Road Pilot database in the direction of travel - i.e. the GPS device in the car only alerts you if you are driving south - for a north facing camera  :o

Tim

What time of day is the Cumbria section?

Ullswater is great but can get really clogged up. Kirkstone good fun too - but I'd avoid Windermere by using the yellow from Town End to Ings and return to M6 at J36 alternatively from the A591 south of Kendal take the A590 and A6 to J35 at Carnforth

The Old A6 south of Carlisle is also good fun. 24hr Fuel at Junction 42 then stay on the A6 through Penrith (Fuel just before A66) rejoin M6 at J 39, or for a real hoot take the yellow down between both carriage ways to rejoin M6 at J 38 at Tebay ( Fuel ) by way of Orton.

The silliness can be continued via the A685, B6257 and yellow from Beckfoot to Lambrigg rejoining at J37.

Plenty of opportunities here for a passage controls

The more I think about this, the more I think we should miss out this section, stay on the M6 and get the cars into Wales for the sections in that Country. These Welsh roads are superb and will be used during the early hours, only traffic to encounter are farmers in tired old Subaru or Land Rover pick ups meandering home after a good night down the boozer!

We intend to use Lancaster Services again.

Showers: Bit soft ain't it?

Quote:
Showers: Bit soft ain't it?

Tim,

My house is only half a mile away from the A80/M73 junction after the Stirling stop.

Beans and I will have the luxury of showers, home cooked food, time to relax and have a kip.

Bit soft?

No, just saving ourselves for later.

Wish we had time for a beer!

McJim.

Sorry.  Just realised that the above sounds a bit light on the loafers.  Could I just make it clear that Beans and I will NOT be sharing showers!

Archived