Having done the event in a wide range of Triumph's that's a no brainer, 2.5 PI (or V8 saloon), closely followed by a Stag. Stag is only let down by cramped accommodation for third crew member, and blind spots with hood erected, that's why we did it with hard top on last event, and no third crew member!
Worst car to do the event in, GT6, sorry Tim. I would rather do the RBRR in a 2 ton camper with a 948cc engine than a mobile straight jacket that slowly cooks one at gas mark 6.

Think of the positives for using a GT6:
1. Great on A roads, lighter weight over say a big saloon makes over taking easy.
2. Small and Manoeuvrable: great on Scottish single track roads
3. Snug and comfy. As the RBRR is held in October no worries with heat. Gotta say that it was not a factor on the 10CR. Very comfortable.
4. Easier to work on than a big saloon.

Negatives:
1. Could do with better ride characteristics
2. Not brill on major roads when it is wet, not easy to see as so small.
3. Not alot of space for everything.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Think of the positives for using a GT6:
1. Great on A roads, lighter weight over say a big saloon makes over taking easy.
2. Small and Manoeuvrable: great on Scottish single track roads
3. Snug and comfy. As the RBRR is held in October no worries with heat. Gotta say that it was not a factor on the 10CR. Very comfortable.
4. Easier to work on than a big saloon.

1. I don't see the 2.5 saloons holding anyone up? In fact it's usually the PI's that do the front running.
2. So is a Donkey.
3. Saloons have great heaters, but you can also turn them off.
4. Saloons don't go wrong, much.

Don't get me wrong, I love GT6's (I have some) but the question was what's the best car to do the RBRR in.

we have completed it 5 times now and always in a 2000 mk2 ,
we have been the last car back and the first car back and we certainly dont thrash it
so it must be down to reiability and good luck?
i have thought about doing it in the stag this time but theres no chance of 4 doing that so i might have to try and rope someone else in and enter both cars.,
I have always thought about doing it in a Renown do you it would keep up !!!!

Well, haven't really got any experience, but after doing Round Denmark (1250 miles, 36 hours) I know for sure that a 4 pot spitfire with no overdrive and the trustwashers missing (or rather - probably floating around somewhere in the sump) is nowhere near the best car for 08.

I would vote for a car which had a larger engine, which could carry at least 3 passengers. Don't know about you guys - but I cannot stay awake for that long.

Also a car that was nok leaking would be desirable. Laminated maps turne out to be an excellent idea!

Conclusion: I will leave both the GT6 and Spit behind, and try to get a seat in my mates 2000 (and talk him into doing the RBRR08)

Sorry Tim, even though I love my GT6 mk2 - its far to cramped and hot!

Regards
Nick

Tim seems to be taking a bashing here, Still he also has a 2000. There is definately something to having a third (or fourth) driver its called more sleep! In the defence of the dolly it is not a bad compromise comfy seats that fully recline and a decent turn of speed (in 1850 and Sprint form ) I think that the 1500 is a bit of a plodder for this event but it is probably the most reliable dolly . I considered buying an 1850 for 08 but I just dont trust an untried ally head to last. 2000 miles is a long way when the engine is constantly hot and you would need to be very sure that everything is in top order . Having experienced the Tow truck ride back from Scotland Once this may be colouring my judgement!

Darren

An overlooked car for the RBRR is the Spitfire 1500.

One with overdrive, hardtop and a good engine is a very suitable car. Good torque and relatively good handling make a good package.

Must say that I think these events are better when undertaken 2 up, I did the 2005 10CR in my 2.5 3 up and found it a bit boring.

I agree with Tim Spitfire 1500 with O/D although having not done it in one I can't say that with any confidence from past experience just hopefulness!! I reckon O/D is a must. The Spitfire handles well, goes pretty well and is snug but comfortable. It can be kept cool inside although I imagine the heater may come in handy in the middle of the night. The only issue I have is with the hood. I don't have a hard-top as I have never seen the need. The RBRR may be the instigator of a search for one!

Oh no, something else to paint!!  :o

Cheers, Neil

timbancroft61 wrote:
An overlooked car for the RBRR is the Spitfire 1500.

One with overdrive, hardtop and a good engine is a very suitable car.

What's with all this talk of hard-tops?????

Roofs are for putting down (and leaving there) not bolting down.

PAH! Bunch of bloody pansies you lot!

Colin

andythompson wrote:
If I was to bring a car over from Oz I'd bring my Stag... effortless high speed cruiser with overdrive... as this is ablatently stupid idea, a 2000/2500 (actually a Mk1 2.5PI.. thanks Doug)  is easily the most capable....

Agreed, we would love to use the Stag for the 08 RBRR, but being an Auto (BW35 and not done the ZF4 speed conversion..........YET!) the top end cruising is a bit iffy (70mph = 4000 rpm!) we are shunning it in favour of the 2500 S Estate,. AKA Banana-mobile!

Anyway, who cares what it is, as long as it is a Triumph and I get to do the run, I couldn't give a monkeys whatsits!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived