**10CR updates here!**

GT6 John

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woohoo! Doug and co still going well.  Excellent.

I'm really rooting for Dougs team as he put in so much hard work to get the car ready, and overcame so many obstacles.  Serious dedication to the cause...

...that of blatting round Europe just for the craic! ;D

First retirement! :( Didn't make it out of Blighty unfortunately.  Car No.7 Ellis Stokes and Keith Compton-Bishop suffered clutch failure at the Dartford crossing.

They are now using their Saab to do the route!  They've piled tons of spares in and are acting as support vehicle.

Team 13 safely arrived at the Hotel in Dolmelletto for the night.
How [s]handy[/s] sad that we have a laptop with us and we have wifi at the hotel.

The photos I've taken are being uploaded to : http://triumph-motorsport.fotopic.net/c1365007.html

It will take a while to load them all, so come back later and look again to see if there are more.

The Bestards are running a magenta Spitfire/GT6!
http://triumph-motorsport.fotopic.net/p44840607.html

Magenta Spitfires & GT6's are harder to find homes for than pit bulls with hydrophobia.  It is so sad when you see them in salvage yards, rusting away, because so many don't feel big enough to be associated with them.  It's great to see one happy & going.  The Bestards have probably scored enough positive karma to last a lifetime.  

The best thing is that you can turn off the ID on your cell phone & send anonymous text messages to team 21, Don Cook,  Steve Gallacher & 71 GT6.

Suggestions:
"It's not the heat, it's the humidity"
"What's that hanging down under your car"
"OMG UR HOUSE IS ON FIRE"

Brilliant Photos Kevin, Thanks for uploading them.

Hotel is very nice, not many in Italy at the moment with the carpark full of Triumphs - its great too see!

Our car is okay, we have a few niggling problems that we will try to rectify this morning.

Then its Stelvio...........

Cheers,

Ash.

Pictures from the Stelvio Pass web cam

http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOEST

Colin Wake and Kevin Rochfort standing by their car.

Kevin reports that they had battery trouble, their alternator apparantly decided to cook the battery last night, boiling all the acid out which sprayed all over the engine and is gradually eating Colins spitfire....

A very nice man ( a very, very nice man?) sold them a replacement new battery for £50 - Kevin said it's a premium battery and cheaper than getting it in the uk. I'm guessing they had a replacement alternator with them. They have reported that they have now eaten their fill of Italian sausages and have left Stelvio...... good job it's a convertable....

The reports on the Canley's site indicate that the GT6 drivers are noticing the heat, & if anyone's in contact with them:

Since the area they're in likely has low humidity, they will probably enjoy a technique used by folks in low humidity/high heat areas of the US (like the desert southwest) that you've seen.

Evaporative cooling can be exploited by getting a bandana or bandana-sized piece of linen (not a fluffy towel), soaking it in water, rolling or folding it up closely, then hanging it around the neck &/or tying one around the forehead.  The wet cloth conducts heat like a radiator from the body, the heat moves to the outside of the bandana, the moisture evaporates at the outside of the bandana & drives the temp down further through evaporative cooling.  It actually works well, & if you keep a container like a jar w/water in the car, you can re-wet it & maintain the system.

Those folks in the southwest on motorcycles & working outside aren't wearing them for fashion accessories, they're air conditioners.  Use a paisley one & pretend you're a Hell's Angel, or use a white one & pretend you're a ninja.

Doesn't work where I live (high humidity, high temp), but it worked great driving through other areas that were low hmidity/high temp.  The occasional little trickle of water down the back of the neck is nearly orgasmic.

Good luck to all. Sorry to hear that Ellis had to drop out so early, bad luck mate. Glad to hear that you are carrying on  as support vehicle, you'd need an estate version if I was doing the run !! I'm there with you in spirit, if not in blue engine smoke...........

Archived