**10CR updates here!**

GT6 John

Quote:
boiled brake fluid on way down Stelvio.

The Triumph handbrake is one of my most-admired & beloved pieces of machinery.  

Arg, I wonder if we should all be doing the switch to silicone, rebuilding/replacing all the way.  21st century & all.

I think we blew up Canley's site.  Boiled their internet fluid or something.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canley's site back up!  Probably a bad earth somewhere.

Car 26 complains about rain?  It can only mean the wipers packed in.  Every GT6 driver knows rain is -5 degrees F ambient temperature!  Cabin temp goes down, intake air charge becomes more dense, it's like a hit of crack or something for both the car & driver.  RAIN ALLLRRIIIIGHTTTT!

I tried RainX long ago sometime after it first appeared, & was not impressed by it.  Well-maintained windshield wipers do a much better job of maintaining the best view.

I live in the rainiest city in the US, in the rainiest section of the US, & they don't sell much RainX.  Lots of folks in other areas like it, but I think their intermittent, lesser rain either produces a different result, or they don't have enough test cases to make good comparison.

I got the Neon out of one of the Virginias, the windshield was clear as new, but in the first real rain & good humid windshield fog-up the mottled windshield was just awful to see through.  It took me a while to figure it out, it was an older application of RainX.  Removal of that crap was not very effective via solvents like alcohol, acetone, etc., & the solution was a very mild abrasive (thanks to someone for the hot tip of the commercial product "Barkeeper's Friend" for creating a watery paste for polishing ooky windshields).

I'm back!  ;D

What a great event it was, we all had lots of fun trashing our cars through Europe. Not sure how many crews did actually did 10 countries, we only did 8. Obviously we missed out on Great Britain but also did not make it to Slovenia. But we had a great time anyway.

Thanks to all, again it was a top event in true CT style!  8)

Uploading the photos at the moment, first ones will be online soon.

rotoflex wrote:

Arg, I wonder if we should all be doing the switch to silicone, rebuilding/replacing all the way.  21st century & all.

The brakes on Colin's Spitfire (Car 13) were running Silicone fluid !!!!
There were also uprated - A pair of spaced Princess 4 pot calipers, and a set of Ford Capri 2.8i vented discs.  Not quite the best that money can buy, but a very competent high performance upgrade.  

Apart from our little "scare", the brakes performed faultlessly and gave a great feeling of security whilst hammering down from the various passes we crested.  Not like normal Spitfire brakes where you have to book an appointment in advance before braking.

Car 42 Stag

Another fantastic CT event under the belt well done all. Stag breezed around all 10 countries with no problem's other than a loose wire in the dizzy, and a broken fan blade.
Best bits?
Forgoing the short cut through the Mont blanc tunnel meant half a days wonderful driving in the Alps. We didn't see a single Triumph all day despite stopping at a beautiful spot in the mountains for a coffee for half an hour. After what seemed like a thousand hair pins Clare was turning green and was preying for some straight bits.
Driving soft top down the full length of Lake Garda shoreline in that sun, superb.
Getting all sorts of sideways on a greasy Nurdburkkrang. The bike in front of me observing all this happening in his rear view decided to indicate for me to overtake him instead of mixing it! The concrete bit on the carousel, the Stag felt like it was in a groove after the slimy tarmac.
The last blat home on the A5. Still in 10CR mode and with Clare dozing decided I had enough off the 5 series BM holding me up and went past at a GPS indicated 125mph.
But the best bit was following the Chinn around for a 1000 miles and refueling at the same time/places. To watch his face as we put over a third less petrol in our 2 ton 3 ltr V8 was worth the entry fee alone!

Silicon fluid: Pah awful stuff!

Even Dot 4 mineral is better,

I had Silicon in my 2.5 on the 05 10CR, boiled it coming down a pass. Might be ok for a show car, but for a car that is used, no.

As for the grey Pi, as Andy states its owned by James Shackford and is a prime CT car, done 3 or 4 RBRRs and other CT events. Top lad as well. By 'eck it flies! Grey mk1's are the way forward!

Another one will be breaking cover, Dave Pearson's one is owned by Leightan Ball who did the 10CR in his Mk2 PI, he will be starting on hi s grey one and hopes to get it ready for the 08 RBRR. His mk2 is a niced car. Another nice guy as well.

canleyclassics wrote:
Car 42 Stag
But the best bit was following the Chinn around for a 1000 miles and refueling at the same time/places. To watch his face as we put over a third less petrol in our 2 ton 3 ltr V8 was worth the entry fee alone!

Yeah thanks for that Dave! I've yet to do the fuel calculations but that little car can drink like an alcoholic fish. Mind you, it does go well if you can cope with the unburnt fuel streaming out the back causing everyone following to start crying!!

Guys,

If you want to post my pictures, then please don't try and direct link them as there is a limit to how much data can be direct linked in a day,

Instead, it is best to post a link to the photo, or to copy the photo and then attach it to your posting.

The link to the big picture is http://triumph-motorsport.fotopic.net/p44914732.html

And yes, the red glow from the back plate and centre of the hub is where it is still rather HOT.  A few minutes earlier, the WHOLE disc was cherry red, and it's a Ford Capri 2.8i ventilated disc.

Archived