How Many Did Not Make It & Why

Goody

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep our Herald estate didn't make it :(

Started banging away like mad from the back end halfway through the 12km tunnel!
We weren't really in the best position to be helped either, we pulled over as soon as we got out, which meant that if people wanted to stop and help they basically couldn't due to the speed they would be doing and an immediate turn off!

Malcolm and I disassembled it partly on friday, found the spring to be pretty shagged. Yesterday Malc found the driveshafts
were knackered as well. Wheelbearing gone in one, uj in the other. Not very impressive considering they were brand new driveshafts put on the weekend before we went!

Getting home was a nightmare through the insurance as well :(

Anyway, at least we did the passes! :)
Still had a great time, but gonna have to do it again now ;)

Cheers
Tim

Martin:  If you are also listing problems that did not cause a DNF, since the RBRR in 06 I beleive my car was only the second to loose a windscreen.  Outher car did not finish the 06 run.  Would like to see a list of all brakedowns and why.  On the last 10CR my car lost it's engine fan, (it fell off) but we finished.  Two 10CR's with problem but never anything on the 3 RBRR's I have run.

I don't record problems that don't cause a DNF as it would be too complex.

Regarding GT6s - basically yes they have been entered and to my knowledge none have ever failed to finish(clap)

With the infomration regarding the Herald estate I will be revisiting the stats and hoepfully I'll find out who and what car it was that had the gearbox failure too (hope it wasn't a GT ;D).

This has all set me off building another set of stats - anorak fully zipped up :B

Raider wrote:
I don't record problems that don't cause a DNF as it would be too complex.

shame, a common theme with that sort of info would help identfy preventitive maintenance jobs or spares to take.

For example, this year's common theme of overheating fuel pumps or the dicky alternators that plagued more than a few in 2007.

I know MIke but I think it would be a mamoth task. :-/

If individuals sent me details I could start to record them.

It's also the same though with other stuff - like alternators have been a problem on RBRRs in the past bust most crews tend to carry spares now so they don't show up in the "DNFs"

2133 wrote:
Yep our Herald estate didn't make it :(

Started banging away like mad from the back end halfway through the 12km tunnel!
We weren't really in the best position to be helped either, we pulled over as soon as we got out, which meant that if people wanted to stop and help they basically couldn't due to the speed they would be doing and an immediate turn off!

Malcolm and I disassembled it partly on friday, found the spring to be pretty shagged. Yesterday Malc found the driveshafts
were knackered as well. Wheelbearing gone in one, uj in the other. Not very impressive considering they were brand new driveshafts put on the weekend before we went!

Getting home was a nightmare through the insurance as well :(

Anyway, at least we did the passes! :)
Still had a great time, but gonna have to do it again now ;)

Cheers
Tim

I only see one Herald estate on the entry list Tim and your name isn't against it.

Some change that didn't make it to the entry list?

You may be right, I'm not so thinking about specific model failures rather than common mode failures - ie. alternators, toughened screens, fuel pumps etc.

Maybe it should be limited to failures that would or could have have caused a DNF if they had not been addressed?

OK, after much work here's some more data answering one or two questions posed.

Please note the info is only as good as that provided to me!

2000/2500 starts 46 - DNF 4 = 89% success rate
TR2-6 starts 34 - DNF = 1 = 97% success rate
Herald/Vitesse starts 33 - DNF 3 = 91% success rate
Spitfire 28 starts - DNF 5 = 82% success rate :-/
GT6 20 starts - no DNFs - 100% success rate :)
TR7-TR7V8 16 starts - DNF 2 = 88% success rate
Dolomite/Toledo 13 starts DNF 1 = 92% success rate
Stag 12 starts no DNFs 100% success rate :)
Acclaim 7 starts - no DNFs 100% success rate :)
Vincent Hurricane s starts - no DNFs - 100% success rate :)

MikeyB wrote:
those of you that had trouble getting back home - did you have classic policies with peter james/footman james or the like?

We were covered by Peter James' European breakdown cover, although we thought most of the problems came from the European end of things, although the insurers could have had much better communication to be fair. We broke down at about 1800 on the saturday, got home at 2230 on the monday, driving through the night on sunday.

If I went further inland than Northern France in my Spit I'd seriously consider taking out proper breakdown cover, has anyone had to use that? Just wondering if it's just luck of the draw, saturday night and all that? :/

Raider wrote:

I only see one Herald estate on the entry list Tim and your name isn't against it.

Some change that didn't make it to the entry list?

I replaced Gavin (I think!) because he couldn't make it ;)

It should have made the entry list though, Malc sent off revised paperwork or something...

Cheers
Tim

Archived