sujitroy

Quoted from sujitroy
Since aftermarket crowns and pinions are no good for the Stag. Is there anything I can have done to my diff to reduce the whine like have shims added or something?

Sujit

Many moons ago someone mentioned Molyslip. If your diff is off the car I would put 2 or 3 tubes in working it round the gears by turning the flanges and nice new oil.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ensure you have fitted the original oem  diff mount rubbers instslled - remove any new ones that all the suppliers sell which  are all too hard a compound and transmit more noise into body and cabin. This is why I always buy up the "worthless" used old rubber bits at the spares shows for peanuts

Particularly badly specced are the gearbox mount rubbers - when I fitted new I immediately could hear the gearbox whining in the lower gears and there was more exhaust buzz coming into the cabin -  the stag lost its refinement  - luckily I kept the old mounts and refitted them

Even worse are the poly bush mounts

Quoted from pollystag
I think sawdust is good value for money,ha.

a car trader i knew in the 70s, used to swear by banana skins
just crammed as many as he could into the casing it did work believe it or not for about 1000miles by which time the warranty had run out.