Sprint limited slip differential.

piman

Not sure about the year, I think it was a special order (factory fitted) option throughout production. The identifying mark is an 'S' at the end of the chassis number ie it will be something like VA.......DLOS.

Rare as rockin' horse poo. Mixed views on whether or not they are a good thing on a road car. I've heard it can make a Sprint even more of a handful in the wet.  ;D

Assume nothing.... just because the commission number has an S at the end, and/or the diff casing has an S on the end of the casting number; does not mean that the diff has 'the right internals' :o

Most Dolomite Sprints have been through numerous owners, and parts do tend to get swapped around, especially the Salisbury axles. Always check !

GTEVO wrote:
Quaife is a piece of Sh....t

It's not even a LSD....

Using a quaife in any live axle car is an engineering nonsense.

It probably works for you....basically cos it doesn't work.

Look at the design....it's NOT a LSD.

OK so it's a torque biasing device. As for everything else you had to say, how about qualifying it with some evidence/explanation.

Hello GTevo,

"Best LSD is a NEW ONE, and they are MUCH MUCH better today than any old 70s unit, and much easier to drive."

The only types I have seen new are quaife or similar.

Which one are you referring to?
It's not for a Dolomite, by the way, but a 2000 saloon.

Alec

GTEVO wrote:
...Basically a Quaife simply doesn't work.....break an axle shaft, and you will immediately see it won't even drive you off the circuit into the paddock ...

Sorry .... have to disagree on that one ... :B

GTEVO wrote:
However;-
Basically a Quaife simply doesn't work.....break an axle shaft, and you will immediately see it won't even drive you off the circuit into the paddock.

But is this because they have been knackered by not being totally suitable for track use??

Didn't John Davies have a problem with his returning from CLM'06 in the Silverback, The diff didn't behave as it should have, and he slowly lost all drive after a woodruff key failed??

Cheers

Colin

I have one fitted to my car and I really dont think it works but the car drives ok so I leave it alone but a guy down our car club re shims them and looking at the design it does look a bit on the simple side so easy to adjust.

The Sierra one fitted to 4x4 seems to work well after loads of years.

The quaife unit is a torque biasing unit, NOT a true LSD.

If you lift a wheel................or lose traction, or break a halfshaft (or axle shaft, call it what you will) a true LSD will lock up and still provide drive to the wheel that still has grip.

The Quaife unit only works while BOTH wheels have some degree of grip. Once grip is lost on one wheel for whatever reason, you get no drive. In that respect, its no better than a standard diff.

I had one on a Land Rover..................complete and utter waste of time.

I have a quaife on my Pi and the only time it is any good is in a straight line down a 1/4 mile... on tight circuit ... particularly hairpins , the inside wheel spins a lot of power away... not all of it like a open diff but most of it...

A quaife would be Ok on a fast road car with relatively soft, supple suspension for traction but on a track I agree with GT ... basically rubbish

lagerzok wrote:
...A quaife would be Ok on a fast road car with relatively soft, supple suspension for traction but on a track I agree with GT ... basically rubbish

That's why it works on my car. It's set up for fast road and road rallies. So with a relatively soft suspension set up.

• 1 month later...

Archived