herald differential needed

Camilla

Hi there

i have been told by our garage that our poor old Herald needs a new diff and has suggested a cost of £300 for the parts plus work. Does this sound about right or is there somewhere I can get hold of a cheaper differential? Your guys help as ever is very welcome.
Cheers Camilla

I need to replace mine as well and got various quotes from £285,- to £400,- just for the unit. I will not recommend the cheapest one as I bought this 4 years and 20.000 miles ago and it recently broke down. I’ve got the recommendation to use Canley classics, see this tread: [Sorry, link no longer available]

There are few reputable suppliers so for the pupose of impartiality I won't say where I went for mine on the forum, but send me a PM if you would like more info. It cost me £260 exchange for a reconditioned unit. I've only done a couple of thousand miles since fitting it but I'm satisfied with it so far.

1218 wrote:
And there was I thinking  second-hand Herald 4:11 diffs were two a penny.   I would have though a second-hand diff would've been so cheap, bordering on free, and with a couple of hours or so labour to fit.....

£100 plus VAT all done is what I'd expect.

Mark

Second hand ones are available, but most have been used for 40 years or more so are at best in dubious condition. I would sooner spend the extra and know it's likely to last, that's the route I took a couple of years ago. I also think two hours labour is very optomistic, I'm pretty experienced at these things and don't think I could do it that time unless everything comes apart easily etc. But then it takes me 20 minutes to get my overalls on, get the ramps out (can't do it without ramps, blocks or pit) and get it up in the air etc - but maybe I'm just getting old :) I'm certain no garage would be prepared to take it on for two hours labour.

We have been quoted £340 before VAT. With VAT and delivery the diff alone is going to cost £500 before any labour has been factored in. I would greatly appreciate all and everybodies help in sourcing a cheaper alternative as many people have suggested that we should be able to get a reconditioned unit for much less. Thanks again.

I've just had a look on the Canley Classics website, Herald 4.11 Ratio Differential exchange is £299.80 including the V.A.T.

There is a £50.75 surcharge if you haven't got a serviceable exchange unit and not sure what the delivery charge would be?

They can also rebuild your existing Diff for £197.80 incl V.A.T. subject to it being rebuildable? :-/

I had a recon 3.89 ratio unit for my Vitesse off TD Fitchetts a few years ago, I've done around 8,000 miles with no problems, I reckon it was £285 exchange including the V.A.T. but that was 5 or 6 years ago?

I've heard Mick Papworth does a good job of rebuilding Diffs, though I've not dealt with him personally, if you get up to the Midlands then one of the above shouldn't be to far away, Canleys & Mick Papworth are near to Coventry on the M6?

Regards

Gary    

Archived