Jimmy956

Hi all

Yesterday i changed the clutch master cylinder on my spit (old one was completely seized) and a new pipe to the slave clyinder. Bled the system as best i could, but something doesnt seem quite right. The pedal feels very very soft on the first few pumps , and progressively gets stiffer. the car drives, moved it up and down our drive, but the bite point is right on the floor and will only go in gear after a couple of pumps. I cant see any leaks anywhere, so could it be the slave needs replacing too? or does it just sound like i still have air in it somewhere?

Thanks guys

If your pumping a few times until it's engaging properly it's because you have air still in your system.

First make sure you have bled your system properly (really it's easiest with two people) as you need one person to control the clutch as you tighten/loosen the bleed nipple as to extract all the air.

If it's still giving you problems just get a new slave cylinder they are relatively cheap and easy to install, whilst your at it you might want to get some replacement copper wire (i think it'll cost under £20 for everything you need), as if the slave cylinder is old it may be a pain in the arse to remove the copper wire from the cylinder itself.. (mine was!) and for the cost of a few extra quid it's worth it.

Fit it all, get some one to control the clutch or use a piece of wood to prop the clutch up, bleed the system through with one full master cylinders worth of new liquid to flush it, then fill it up and you'll be away :)

you'll need to remove the center console legs under your dashboard, move your carpet to one side and remove the gearbox tunnel cover so you can thread the copper wire through easyily.

willcolumbine wrote:
Make sure you've got the bleed nipple above the pipe union. If you don't you'll never bleed it properly!

er.....ooh! well the bleed nipple is at the bottom but it was already like that, so i left it how it was! ::)

ok I just swapped the pipe and bleed nipple around and rebled. There only seems a slight improvement tho. Strangely it goes in the other gears fine, just first and reverse are the problem!

Seems like a new slave it is then

Not wanting to doubt your ability...but I had this problem on my spit I just couldnt get the system bled properly.
In the end my mate whos a bit useful at these such times managed it on his first attempt.
I'm not saying your doing it wrong but if you try again maybe you'll crack it as you had a slight improvment it would maybe point towards incorrect bleeding......of course I  could be talking out my ****.

Cheers Alex

Alex wrote:
Not wanting to doubt your ability...but I had this problem on my spit I just couldnt get the system bled properly.
In the end my mate whos a bit useful at these such times managed it on his first attempt.
I'm not saying your doing it wrong but if you try again maybe you'll crack it as you had a slight improvment it would maybe point towards incorrect bleeding......of course I  could be talking out my ****.

Cheers Alex

It took 4 or 5 attempts to get air out my clutch system.

In the end I had to remove the slave cylinder and push the piston back.

I was at the point of think I had rebuilt cylinder wrong

Try wedginh the clutch pedal down with a block of wood and leaving it overnight.
This can get rid of the air trapped if there is any.
Also, I once had problems engaging reverse, couldn't get it without the drivetrain going clunk, cured it by loosening the slave cylinder pinch bolt and pushing the cylinder as far forward as possible.

Yours
Mark

I was prepared for a world of pain when I rebuilt the master cylinder in the PI, saloon clutches seem to be notorious. I used an easibleed and did it first time - Iwas doubtful that it was that easy so I did it again! I put it entirely down to luck :-)

Just a thought - are you sure you don't have some endfloat in the crank? Worn thrusts - check by trying to move the front pulley back and forth whilst a mate operated the clutch.

mark_spit wrote:
Try wedginh the clutch pedal down with a block of wood and leaving it overnight.

Have just got in from removing my wood, having left it a couple of days and it certainly feels much better! bite point is still pretty low, about 1/2" off the floor but it will go in all gears cleanly now without the need to "pump it up"  Have to admit i've heard of that trick before but never thought it would work!  ;D

I just love the simple (cheap) solutions!  8)

Archived