(Clutch) master

WIMPUS

Hi,

I've bought a new clutch master around the end of august as i was going all new for the clutch hydraulics.
After 4 weeks the master starts leaking ( The more expensive TRW one that rimmers sell).
Got a replacement and last week all the bulkhead was full of fluid again  :(

So rebuilded the first faulty one and that is now installed, checked behind the rubber boot today at the end of the master ... again fluid  ??)

Roy (Royboy) told me that he has one from Willwood for the clutch.
Seems to cost a lot less then that TRW one i bought.

Has anyone else got a willwood one installed ?  :)

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/brake-master-cylinders-reservoirs/wilwood-compact-integral-reservoir-master-cylinder

Really starting to hate hydraulics ! :o

You would need to flush out the old fluid. maybe blow it through with an air line.  I used silicon fluid when I rebuilt mine 12 years ago and never had any problems.
I did try it on the braking system but found it a bit spongy and went back to normal fluid.  Although thinking back it might have been I never bled them enough.

But i guess as it leaks a bit now, the seals in the mc are again bad ..

First going to try and fit the original master again,  that never leaked and worked good.
But replaced it because the fluid was so black and dirty (but that was i think because of the very leaky & old slave).

Howard81 wrote:
I had similar problems with the brake master - tried rebuilding the original and the expensive quality replacement and they both leaked soon after. I then fitted a cheapo one and 5 years on it's still fine!

I think i'm going to buy the one in the link above, i know the reservoir is straight, but i think it will work.
Also Roy has is the same way in his GT6

Now what bore to take .. 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch or 7/10 inch ??  :o

Roy thinks he's got a 3/4 inch.

Wim, did you tell Rimmers about your failed cylinders? I know postage is a hassle, but if people don't complain, products will stay the same. From personal observations, Rimmers seem to have a well-equipped Complaints desk. In the past, they haven't wanted me to return faulty parts, and have just sent out replacements or a refund.

If the original slave was 5/8, maybe stick with that diameter? It'll be interesting to see how the Wilwood cylinder works. At the moment I have a TRW clutch cylinder, and it hasn't leaked, but has only been tested when I pretend to drive in the garage. Ahem. Oh, and I have the aluminium drip trays, just in case.

I'd vote against the silicone fluid. In my Herald, with new clutch master and slave cylinders, it reacted with the seals and I had a silicone puddle on the floor. It then reacted with my rubber floor mat. And the sole of my shoe.

Hi, thanks Nick for your reply !

Thinking of contacting Rimmers again about it.
The thing is that my friend ordered it back then, so it's on his name and i don't want to get him into trouble  :o
at the end of september i mailed and they sended me a new one straight away without hassle.

Got this slave and from the same seller.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144716-CLUTCH-SLAVE-CYL-AFTER-1965-DIAPHRAGM-CLUTCH-TYPE-HERALD-AND-SPITFIRE-/371105077421?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56679618ad

Could that be the problem, my old slave was not good anymore and my spare one also (rusted solid)..  :-/

I've been also thinking of those drip trays  :B

So the slave is 7/8.

been looking on the rimmers site and it seems the original slave was the same bore size..
Also checked at the canley's site and the new one has the same part no as what they sell at canley's.

So the slave is right .. Now only that bloody master  :o  :(

got this one in today, could instantly feel that it was better quality (hope it is now )

Only need to put it on the car, but noticed i need to screw the U clamp to all the way back, but then the clevis pin can't go in...  :o
So i need to cut a piece of the threads it seems..

Maybe change the front seal of the master also to a lucas one, so then the rubber boot fits over it again  :)

4526 wrote:
got this one in today, could instantly feel that it was better quality (hope it is now )

Only need to put it on the car, but noticed i need to screw the U clamp to all the way back, but then the clevis pin can't go in...  :o
So i need to cut a piece of the threads it seems..

Maybe change the front seal of the master also to a lucas one, so then the rubber boot fits over it again  :)

looks good, I may need one as my original failed with a leak in the summer, Where did you get that one from ? Is it the same unit for a MK3 Spit ?

4277 wrote:

looks good, I may need one as my original failed with a leak in the summer, Where did you get that one from ? Is it the same unit for a MK3 Spit ?

Don't know if it's the same as the MK3, need to look at some diagrams.
But got it from Demon Tweeks

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/brake-master-cylinders-reservoirs/wilwood-compact-integral-reservoir-master-cylinder

You also need a clevis /U clamp.
I've bought this, but going to see if it isn't to big !
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/brake-master-cylinders-reservoirs/obp-quick-release-clevis

ps; just  had a look on the Rimmers site and it seems to be the same clutch master as the mk3 (actually all spitfires it seems).
Will let it know on here how it goes, hopefully have a leak free master for once !

Nick_Moore wrote:
A 3/4" bore will make the clutch heavier, and force the slave cylinder through a greater range of travel. Make sure you aren't over-extending the slave, or the release mechanism.

I thought and heard about all this ...
Will get an 5/8" then !   :o

If anyone needs a 3/4" master (as brake master or something), please give a shout   :B

• 2 months later...

Bad news today...

Now the Wilwood one is also leaking !!  ??)
I'm really fed up with it now.
I think it must be the brand of the fluid, can't be anything else !

I always use Dot 4 from Marly .

But thinking now to buy some more expensive one or going to Dot 5 !   :B