D Type O/D Conversion

MK3

I have removed the original gearbox from our '70 MK3 and have a gearbox with D Type o/d ready to drop in.

I'm trying to work out which rear mounting bracket is needed. From the image below it appears that the original chassis plate is now redundant and replaced by a smaller one (C) and the O/D mount comes in 2 pieces (A + B)

or do I just need items (22) and (23) shown here on SC Parts diag :
http://www.scparts.co.uk/index/lang-2/lkz-195/markenid-5/katnr-252/kat_sprache-2/hrubnr-1890/rubrik-6055/index.php?tpl=clickable_vertikal.tpl&marker=23#23

I would look at other suppliers also as some are cheaper than others!

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/gt6mkiandiioverdrive.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/earlygt6.html&category=gearbox&xsl=diagram.xsl

others include Chic Doig, Paddocks, TD Fitchitt, Spitfire Graveyard to name a few,  worth shopping around as it may save you some money.

Hi Mk3,

Exactly as you say.

I converted my Mk1V in a similar fashion, get hold of the standard one piece rubber mount (your rubber bobbin mounts are no use), bolt it through either a flat thick piece of steel across the chassis rails or fold up a thinner flat piece with reinforcing webs to suit.

I seem to remember a piece of 6" trunking lid worked well  :)

cook1e wrote:
You'll need the angled speedo drive as well if you haven't got that already and they are quite pricey...about 40 quid new from memory and 2nd hand ones tend to break!

The new ones seem to break quite often too, this might help - this is from the Moss US website http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/SearchResults.aspx?SearchText=angle+drive&WebCatalogID=0 - no mention of it as far as I can see on the Moss Europe website

Wow you're not kidding, angle drives are about £33 + vat  plus I guess I will need a longer speedo cable to go with it ?

I know the MK3 Spitfire has a column operated OD Switch/Lever, and probably a modified steering cowl but can you fit a MK4 gear lever & switch to a MK3 3 rail box by just replacing the gear lever & knob or is the remote control housing different on a MK4 ?

There  are some very iffy new angle drives about, I would always use a good old one...

Yes, mkIV spit gearlever will fit (NOT the 1500 one though) but there are differences in the mechanism to allow the OD to only work in 3/4th gears. and definitely STOP it working in reverse (or very bad things happen).
However, if it is an OD box all that should be there.

Alternatively, it is perfectly possible to chop the top section off another od gearstick (saloon ones used to be cheap, but I expect that has changed) and weld it to the mk3 one. Been there, done it, more than once.

I did an OD conversation a year ago. You will need a new chassis plate as stated above, the one on ebay should do, but it's an after marked one. The OD-mount never came in 2 pieces (A + B) as far as I know; might have been for the very early cars though.
I didn't use a longer speedo cable; but don't know if it was original non-od....

cliftyhanger wrote:

Alternatively, it is perfectly possible to chop the top section off another od gearstick (saloon ones used to be cheap, but I expect that has changed) and weld it to the mk3 one. Been there, done it, more than once.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/product/gearstick.html&xsl=product.xsl

But thought they were available as repro now?

You don't need the angle drive od a D type - the drive is further back than a J type and you can tuck the speedo cable into the chassis rail with enough curve for it to work fine - Just done this on mine and used the standard speedo cable with no problems.

As far as the gearlever goes - I used the column switch as you don't need to take your hands of wheel to flick overdrive in or out.