Fitting a Les Leston steering wheel - Vitesse

oldsaab93

Hello

I am trying to fit a period Les Leston wood rim steering wheel to my Vitesse.

I have taken my old original wheel off and offered up the new Les Leston boss.  This has the correct number of splines and all fits ok - so far so good.

My problem comes with the horn pencil.  The existing pencil is approximately 5.5cm long, but this is too short for the Les Leston boss; that needs to protrude through the steering wheel itself to reach the horn button?  Is the horn pencil available in a longer length?

Also my original Triumph horn button is slightly too large in diameter to fit the boss.

Anybody one here who has fitted a similar wheel and can enlighten me??

thank you
Martin

I was looking for a longer one for an old Paddy Hopkirk that was going into a mk 3 spit, did ask Canley Classics for a 3.4 inch one (believe it was used on some TR6) as an alternative to the standard 2.6 inch one.
They did not have any stock, but advised me to try a company called TRGB. They had stock.

*edit* 5,5 cm is still less than the standard horn pencil...

Cheers,
Jens

I have a Les Leston wheel i was restoring,i also have an original LL boss still in its box for the Herald/Vitesse,i will take a look and see if its as you say.

I`m not aware if the horn pencils come in different lengths,i had the same issue with the pencil being too fat for a Mountney boss,i just rubbed it down with emery paper.

On my other car the wheel came modified with a copper disc on the push that earths when pressed thus sounding the horn.
Steve

There were numerous different horn pencil lengths, several area available under different part numbers, but they're not usually recorded by length.
When I needed an unavailable (at the time) length for our old Triumph 2000, I made a new one using Evergreen plastic tubing, available from model shops or the ubiquitous ebay. Different diameter tubes are designed to sleeve together, I salvaged an original pair of plungers and spring, with a new braid made from de-soldering wick.

Cheers,
Bill.