Steering rack clamp warning

Nick Jones

Quoted from Hogie
If you think you may be affected there is a simple check - make sure there is a small gap (1 or 2mm) between what would be the mating faces.

This ensures that the clamps are acting on the rack and not just tight within themselves.

Roger

Just to add that this can sometimes be misleading and you need to look at the gap on both mating faces as the top section doesn't always sit flat.  In an ideal world you would have, say, 1mm both sides, but in the real world you may have nothing one side and 2mm the other.  Either of these is ok, but if you have no gap either side then it needs further investigation.

Nick

I understand direct ie no rubber slop advantage of solid mounts, the issue needs to be addressed by the sellers for sure.

Dont know if it works for rubber mounts but found this method:

You will notice that when you turn the wheels to the right, the rack gets pushed to the left, and vice-versa (a side to side motion).
Take advantage of this motion by turning your wheels all the way to the right before undoing anything, and then replace the rubber mount that is not being pressured. Before tightening the U-bolts, turn the wheel to the oppisite lock in order to apply pressure to the newly installed mount. Tighten the U-bolts. Now do the same for the other side. It worked great!

http://vintagetriumphregister.org/tr6-steering-rack/

Quoted from junkuser
The early Heralds had solid aluminium mounts (Part No. 122553) but they had a dowel that went into a hole in the rack tube to locate them.
(Triumph Herald spare parts catalogue second edition. "Triumph Motor Co (1945) limited")

This is true.  They are also cast and split if the U bolts are over-tightened 😲.

Suspect that the original clamps with polybushes are the best technical solution!

Nick

It was the method of location, that is lacking on the new version, I was trying to point out Nick, rather than actually using them.
Even if only one of the new type was modified to have a dowel the slip would be overcome.

A smaller diameter hole that went right through the mount would enable marking of the tube for the positioning of the hole to receive the dowel.
Dowel would be stepped to control the depth the dowel entered the tube and its length would control the amount in the clamp.

Should not be very difficult to do.
Drill the small hole, position the clamp, mark the tube, drill the hole in the clamp, using the small drilling as the pilot, to the appropriate diameter and depth, drill the tube, make the dowel to match the drillings.

Making sure the clamp is homing on tube rather than itself, as has been posted, must be done.

Mal.

Hello Mal,

I have used these clamps for more than 10 years so my memory was a bit hazy, but I was sure my clamps were hard up against the collar on the rack, i.e. the clamping force does not need to be high. I've just been out to look, as my car is in bits at the moment and I can see that I re drilled the cross member to relocate the clamps so that the rack cannot move sideways relative to the cross member. Simple and effective and looks much less of a bodge than using a jubilee clip as shown in teh link.

Alec