Steering Freeplay.

Matt306

Don't know if it's the same on a Herald as a spitfire ..
But isn't there a clamp on the bottom, so if you have an accident the bolts brakes and you 'normally' don't have a steering wheel through your face ?

If that would be loos , that would give you a wobble steering and you can also pull the shaft in and out.

I'm not sure if it's the same on a Herald, but found this diagram ..

See circled area.  This is found on the column inside the car between the end of the column housing and the bulkhead and is a U bracket with a thick plate that bolts across it.  This thick plate has a grub screw and locknut in its centre which is factory set to grip the column tightly enough to prevent freeplay but loose enough to allow the solid bar (lower column) to slide through it and telescope into the hollow upper column in the event of impact.  Checking the 2 1/4" UNF bolts holding the plate to the U bracket and tightening if needed should be all that is necessary, but if they are tight and rotational play can be felt at this point you will need to revisit the setting of the centre grubscrew.  There is a specific procedure for this which needs to be followed if the column is to stand a chance of collapsing as intended.

More likely the play is elsewhere but worth checking

Nick

Yes, if you look at the bottom of your inner and outer column you'll see two flats cut into them that need to line up when the clamp is fitted. I've seen a few cars where the clamp was attached but the inner and outer column flats weren't lined up so there was a lot of slop in the column. Also, don't assume when fitting the clamp that the clamp will pull them level with each other. There is a very good chance they'll just pinch the column.

As well as the things mentionee,d the biggest culprit is the  bottom Uni.
some times the rubbers go awol, creating free play,  but also the bolts come loose, this also creates free play.

there 2  bolts tha go thru the uni, clamping it to a spline,
when ones slack it moves, when 2s slack, it moves even moer,

go an ev a ratch aboot in that area
they 1/2 spanner, and must move rack about to just the right spot, to be able to git spanners on
Ringo,s are best.

M

Quoted from GT6 M
As well as the things mentionee,d the biggest culprit is the  bottom Uni.
some times the rubbers go awol, creating free play,  but also the bolts come loose, this also creates free play.

there 2  bolts tha go thru the uni, clamping it to a spline,
when ones slack it moves, when 2s slack, it moves even moer,

go an ev a ratch aboot in that area
they 1/2 spanner, and must move rack about to just the right spot, to be able to git spanners on
Ringo,s are best.

M

I replaced mine with a different type of UJ to get rid of the rubber problems.

Your diff cured my noise problem though cheers.

I have been down to the UJ joint and tightened the nuts a few more turns and it seems to have taken up a bit of slack certainly no more back and forth movement!
I dont the the column clamp is on properly though as the stepped edge is out not in to the column.