Ellis

It's easy Nutter!

Follow these 4 easy steps:

1. Firmly grasp the 'R'. Twist to the right and remove. Occasionally Leyland 'R's were known to fix fast and refuse to move. Apply a small amount of 'Anti-Industrial Action' or 'Union Free', but on no account strike!

2. Take a fresh Michelotti 'G' and fasten securely in front of the 'T' (The Leyland 'T' can be replaced with a stylish one at a later point)

3. Remove the mouldy tartan covered '7' or '8' (why these people can't make their minds up with the numbers I'll never know)

4. Replace with a sparkly, resolute and meaningful '6'

Then you won't be bothered about a bit of play in the steering column - you'll be too busy admiring a real car!!!

WARNING: Reversal of the above procedure would be sheer idiocy and would result in free lifetime membership of an MG club.

And never trust a garage to do this kind of work - I got my local garage to replace the steering column bush in my Vitesse (note, not a Leyland era Triumph) but I subsequently found out they hadn't tightened up the clamp at the base of the column :o

Result was the steering wheel out of line after i drove it round a hotel car park in Canterbury - still better to find out here than at the Nurburgring! ::)

Still, no help for you though Mr Nutter! :(

I think I've found some instructions that will help, but it means it's unlikely I'll be in the "7" at the re-union. I've decided to leave it off the road for a couple of months and sort out all the bits and pieces, like the steering column bush, getting the choke working properly and maybe a dose of Waxoyl for good measure. Bring it back on the road in May which will then give me a good few months running to iron out any further problems before the RBRR2004. The good thing is, it will be more photos and jobs to write up for Club Torque...

Mr Greeks.... if only Darren's V8 was MOT'd, I'd bring that and shake your feable 6 pot thing into a pile of nuts and bolts (they didn't use nylocs in those days did they !!!)  ;D :P ;D

Umm! TR7's, a car designed by a commitee, Marvellous stuff. Harris Mann- what a stylist!

Give me a Michelotti six anyday.

Those 3 jobs you mention Mr Nutter would take a morning on a GT6.

Notes: To my fellow very wise GT6 owners, I'll be taking my car up to Medbourne in a week or so, hopefully I'll see yours there as well. Doug, I know that you are having some bodywork done, so we will excuse you! Looking forward to seeing the car once done.
Note: That the 2 TR7 advocates will have both their cars off the road, Phew good old BL reliability.

Tim B

Tim I have postponed the body work until  the day after medbourne,just so that i can turn up in the GT6.Just the small matter of both rear brake cylinders to replace and rear radius arm mounting bracket to re-weldand get the handbrake working.shouldn't take more than an hour or two though

Yep, I've got the manual - thanks for the offer...

After trying to gap the valves twice before (and still having 6 out) I want to spend my time getting everything right this time... Also, I have a rather strange set up that not many people cater for... there weren't many LHD TR7 Sprints made, which starts causing problems with cables and things, because they don't line up !!  :-/  Excuses excuses I know...  :B  I'll see what I can get finished at the weekend and decide then. ::)

[quote]That the 2 TR7 advocates will have both their cars off the road, Phew good old BL reliability.[/quote

Mr B - my Vitesse isn't on the road either, isn't that a "proper" Michellotti car with a "proper" engine?

You know very well that my TR7 isn't off the road due to reliability issues :P

Regarding your picture of the GT6 racing - great picture, doesn't prove a thing!  :P

My pictures of a real competition car on this forum show what's what!

And do you want to return to the "what was the most succesful Triumph in competition" issue? ??)

No, thought not.

On this TR7 - GT6 thing, thought I'd take a look at the stats on the cars from the main site.

GT6 Mk3 104bhp, 117llbft, max 112, 0-60 10.1
TR7  105bhp, 119 lbft, max 109, 0-60 9.1

Pretty evenly matched I'd say, can't see much in the superior torque of the 6 cylinder engine there Tim, granted slighlty higher top end but the 7 is faster by a second to 60 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've successfully changed the steering column bush and it wasn't that difficult (took about just under 2 hours including cups of tea. I've taken loads of photos, so expect that to be coming up soon in the club mag...

Have found another problem though... new thread me thinks...  :-/

Archived