Steering rack location

Freebird

Hi everyone

Whilst trying to stop my horn from blowing when turning the steering wheel, I noticed the steering rack moves a good 5mm side to side when turning the steering wheel at standstill. The rubbers and rack were new a year ago and show no signs of decay - my engine leaks no oil!!

Is this normal? Have I assembled the clamps wrongly? There is a gap (full of rubber) of about 4mm between each clamp flange and the rack flange that I cannot reduce. Are the solid ali mouting kits worth a try? - I fixed the horn though :D.

TTFN

Glen.

just fitted some ally mounts ive had for a while , the ally mounts don't come near the abutements on the rack body but the grip seems adequate to stop any side slip. make sure that the n/s mount covers the anti rattle damper plastic plug fitted in the tube and normally held in place by the  rubber mounting which is wider than the ally blocks,(if not alignable  use a hose clip )also fiitted a new universal joint from rarebits4classics the whole job makes a significant improvement and better feed back....peter  

Archived