Congealed oil and rocker shafts.

npanne

Two questions for the price of one today.

Having just refurbed the cylinder head, I thought I'd best tidy up the rocker gear too. Having cleaned off the "wet" oil, everything is still covered in a very tar like residue which I'm presuming is congealed oil - any tips for removing it? De-greaser these days doesn't seem to shift stuff.

Second question - the shaft itself has considerable wear an scoring - I've heard bad things about the replacements currently available, but in the absence of a better solution, it looks like this is the route I'm going - but how bad are they - bad enough not to work, or just prone to fast wear?

Not sure where you are but you can still get hold of the environmentally unfriendly Gunk from places like Halfords.... It will eat through it without any problems.... Saying that I want to know what degreasers the garages use as they just dip parts in and it comes out sparkling!

• 1 month later...

Finally got a day free from work / kids / other stuff which I spent rebuilding the rocker gear - didn't realise until I went to dismantle it just how badly gunked up it was - most of the rockers were sticking, two were actually stuck fast to the shaft - so much so that I couldn't even dislodge them with a vice and tool #001 (club hammer). Managed to smash two of the pedestals trying.

Anyway, new shaft and cleaned rockers (including a couple salvaged from a spare set), and it's all moving freely at last!

Not wishing to teach granny about sucking eggs but;   Don't forget to clean out the oil ways in the head as well. The black gunk has a nasty habit of building up in these and no matter how well you sort the rocker gear it will stop oil reaching it with obvious consequences....

There are 2 oilways - one down from the rearmost pedastal base, one horizontal that can be accessed from the 7/16" set pin to be found at the rear n/s of the head. I cleaned these out but inserting a small drill bit and rotating by hand. I was amazed at just how much crud came out. I started with a small drill and gradually increased size as the passageway got cleared.

This is obviously easier to do with the head off, but I'm sure you could do it with it in situ - just need to be careful about dislodged crud going deeper into the oliway if the head's still in place. In that case I guess you could use the starter to spin the engine and any loose crud would be ejected through the open ports by oil pressure.

Have fun

I'm sure others on here will

Good point Lucky.
But instead of drills, I'd suggect using a fine bottle brush.
EG http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-BROWNS-VENT-BRUSHES-for-Cleaning-Narrow-Wide-BottlesBaby-Bottles-x4-Pack-/110829563489?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Bottle_Sterilisers_Insulators_LE&hash=item19cdf4ee61

John

6059 wrote:
Not sure where you are but you can still get hold of the environmentally unfriendly Gunk from places like Halfords.... It will eat through it without any problems.... Saying that I want to know what degreasers the garages use as they just dip parts in and it comes out sparkling!

I'm debating buying a degreaser / parts washer - anyone know if they're worth the money? About £120 for a good one, it seems.

490 wrote:

I'm debating buying a degreaser / parts washer - anyone know if they're worth the money? About £120 for a good one, it seems.

Paudman,
Two things to consider: How much are you going to be using it ? How are you going to dispose of the waste fluid?
If you are only using it occasionally there may be better places to invest the money.
The waste is likely to be environmentally nasty stuff, and proper disposal might be expensive.
                                                                            Best of luck,
                                                                            Paul