1360 cam in a 1500?

sparky_spit

A 212359 cam from a late 1360 GE engine has 18-58 58-18 timing, the same as a bog standard 1500 Spitfire cam. Does anyone know if it has the same lift (0.24") and duration (256deg) as well?

I need a new cam for a 1500 and I have a mint condition 1360 cam here with its original matching followers. I'm also thinking new Mk3 FD grind on a large journal blank as well.  Or find a good secondhand Mk3 cam and fit bearings.  Decisions, decisions...  Splash the cash or be a tight-arse?

Yes it's for the 1500 engine to go back into the Spit in time for the 10CR - well 6 weeks or so beforehand so it can be run-in and de-bugged by then.  In truth, I was quite happy with the 1500 cam that's in it, but is now trashed (see Oil Burner...), so need a new one. Hence the question about the 1360 cam as I have one already, and it would save me £100 or so.

But a Mk3 gind would be quite nice I agree, as long as it does not lose too much torque from 2000 to 3000 rpm, which makes the 1500 such a good engine (IMO) for events like the 10CR.

According to the data in my cam comparer (http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/cam.php?sortby=name) they have the same lift— however that comes with a huge disclaimer!!!

Personally I don't reckon they'll be much between them— you'll just have to be careful because it'll start to rev off the clock with a Mk3 cam.

Well, the figures for the 1360 cam and the 1500 cam look identical, and lining them up in the same orientation side by side on the bench and sighting down them by eye, they look the same too. Not very technical I know, but I reckon a 1360 212359 and a 1500 312188 are the same grind.

Still thinking about using a Mk3 cam though....

sparky_spit wrote:
. Hence the question about the 1360 cam as I have one already, and it would save me £100 or so.

A 13/60 cam will be the small bearing cam, you will need bearings fitted to your 1500 block. Fitting the bearings is supposed to be a good upgrade.

But a MkIII Spitfire cam would be best. Alternatively I think Dave does a 'special' for the larger journals.

Richard_B wrote:

A 13/60 cam will be the small bearing cam, you will need bearings fitted to your 1500 block. Fitting the bearings is supposed to be a good upgrade.

But a MkIII Spitfire cam would be best. Alternatively I think Dave does a 'special' for the larger journals.

No cam bearings in a standard 13/60 (GE or GK) engine.  Cam bearings were only used in Mk3 Spit (FD) and 1300TC FWD.

Nick

Just to confim re the last few posts above, a 212359 cam from a late 1360 GE engine is 100% definitely large journal and runs directly in the block. I trial fitted it yesterday.... not that I'm sure I'm going to use it yet. I spoke with Dave P today re pistons, bearings and cams and am leaning towards a Mk3 cam. Only downside is I'll need a RR session to get it setup properly which will be more expense for what was originally supposed to be a quick re-ring and re-shell job.

Archived